Fiat Coupe Club UK

Fiat Coupe, Towbar and Speed Boat

Posted By: Anonymous

Fiat Coupe, Towbar and Speed Boat - 12/05/2008 00:24

Guys, it it a bad idea to get a removeable towbar fitted to my coupe and tow a 14ft speed boat about?

If so, I will get the missus a 4x4.

Its chipped to 260BHP with PRV running 1.2PSI.

Cheers!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fiat Coupe, Towbar and Speed Boat - 12/05/2008 16:43

im no expert, butif its not towing very often and youre dricving sensibly, the suspension/clutch shouldnt be taking too much of a bettering-how much does a boat weigh?
Posted By: AlistairM

Re: Fiat Coupe, Towbar and Speed Boat - 12/05/2008 18:11

When towing something its more about the weight of what you are towing vs the weight of the towing car rather than the power of towing car you end up with the tail wagging the dog.

Do you know how much this speed boat weighs?
Posted By: paulbrook

Re: Fiat Coupe, Towbar and Speed Boat - 12/05/2008 19:12

I have a towbar - as it happens the Coop is a pretty good tow car, stable, powerful (and the power is nice and smooth) and good brakes. But as a car it is light, and the max safe (braked) towing weight is about 1000Kg I think. Less is better though. A 14' boat is going to be well under that - unless it has a monster engine. Boat weight distribution is key here though - especially if it has a big outboard hanging off the back (sorry - stern) and you have left the fuel and anchor in the back there too). Get the weight distribution right (about 50-60 kg heavy at the towhitch is good), don't be afraid to put all the weight you can in the car boot and above all keep the speed sensible and you will be fine.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Fiat Coupe, Towbar and Speed Boat - 12/05/2008 19:41

Originally Posted By: paulbrook
the back (sorry - stern)

We technical types generally refer to it as 'the blunt end' \:D
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK