Fiat Coupe Club UK

Hello

Posted By: Hammie

Hello - 10/03/2024 09:18

Hi all.
I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I have been re-commisionimg my Coupe over the last year. I brought from a dealer I know who whilst test driving mine snapped the cam belt. I brought blind on his description and was extremely pleased with what turned up.

Down to rebuilding the engine before anything else. Initially looked like 2 bent valves but upon 're building the head after a skim and lapping in the valves there were 8 in total that wouldn't lap so a new set fitted. When all finally done she fired up instantly. Satisfied I set about replacing what I thought would improve the driving experience but my brief to myself was to keep as original as possible. So brakes went to grooved and drilled, new shocks, lowered springs 30mm new exhaust as internal packing had collapsed, fabricate and weld in new Eifel tower OSR, repair NSR, weld small patch in floor, repair dent behind rear bumper and boot lid, change wheels to later and painted black with new Toyo Poxys, polished headlights and loads more like resistor in blower etc etc.

She has the obligatory lacquer peel on the NSR corner but as mentioned I wanted to keep as original as possible. She has had a going over by Dean at the Small Car Workshop near Marwell Zoo and in for MOT next week. Fingers crossed.

The forum has been an invaluable help.

BTW she is a 16v turbo,previously I have owned 2x 16v coupes and a 130TC Strada amongst many and is now stabled with my 3 XJS and Westfield 7 in Winchester.

Attached picture 20231008_075929-1.jpg
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Hello - 10/03/2024 10:39

Hi Hammie and welcome to the forum bye

Excellent to hear you've saved a rare 16vt.

Re: Hello - 10/03/2024 15:07

Originally Posted by Edinburgh
Hi Hammie and welcome to the forum bye

Excellent to hear you've saved a rare 16vt.

She was destined for breaking if I hadn't.

The only other thing to do now is a repair to the side squab of the drivers seat leather panel.

Is she know to the club. N718JTC. (JULIET THE COUPE) not that I normally name my cars. She has done 85k so worth saving IMHO
Posted By: PaulL

Re: Hello - 10/03/2024 17:29

Hello Hammie, welcome to the Club.

I'm pleased that you've been successful.

Keep us up to date with the things that you do. Many of us will benefit from hearing from you.

Paul
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Hello - 10/03/2024 19:47

One important point Hammie (after welcome, of course!) is that on the 16v the valves bending will also bruise the big end bearings... and in a few thousand miles they will give up the ghost... (ask me how I know? Half way up Glen Coe, Friday afternoon, Christmas eve...)

It was unclear whether you did the bottom end. If you didn't, now is the time...

Neil

Re: Hello - 11/03/2024 05:06

Neil.

No I didn't do the big end bearings, wasn't aware of this issue.

I will add it to the list of things to do. I guess I will remove and blank off the balance shafts as well at the same time. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Hello - 11/03/2024 10:01

Hiya Hammie,

Welcome to the fold thumb

You left an answer message on my machine the other week but it wasn't great quality so I didn't get all your telephone number, call again if I can help further.

Joe.

01684 593187

Re: Hello - 12/03/2024 13:42

She passed the MOT with flying colours. No advisories.

Joe.
I will give you a call re the big end bearings mentioned by Nick.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Hello - 12/03/2024 13:45

Great result thumb
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Hello - 12/03/2024 13:56

Originally Posted by Hammie
She passed the MOT with flying colours. No advisories.

Joe.
I will give you a call re the big end bearings mentioned by Nick.

Cool, and congrats on a clean MOT pass thumb
Posted By: PaulL

Re: Hello - 12/03/2024 17:17

MOT with no advisories ?

They can't have looked hard enough !

Great news ! Enjoy it !

Paul

Re: Hello - 13/03/2024 05:13

Must have been the testers guide dogs day off.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK