Fiat Coupe Club UK

What is this

Posted By: Jamjam12

What is this - 06/03/2024 17:29

So I came to my coupe today with the intention of sanding down all the floor ready for paining tomorrow, however I've been met with something, and I don't know what it is, some of it was peeling off and it seems to be some hardened sealant stuff that's over all 4 quarters of the floor, is this original? Should I remove it all and continue with my plan? I'm going to assume it's probably sealant as the previous owner has just covered up the patches he did in the floor with sealant instead of paint

I can't add pics on my phone so sorry for no visuals on what I'm trying to describe
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: What is this - 06/03/2024 18:26

Sound proofing panels which would be colour coded on the surface and hard black tar underneath.
Posted By: Alansclark

Re: What is this - 06/03/2024 18:36

I used a hammer and chisel to remove it from above the drain holes. I then used a wire brush drill bit to remove any corrosion and then painted with POR15 paint.

Re: What is this - 06/03/2024 19:10

Ah yep thanks guys.

I'll get it all off wire brush and paint over.

The areas I got off all looked alright underneath except the areas around where a patch had been put on.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: What is this - 06/03/2024 19:58

If you're intending to strip it all off you might consider replacing it with something similar as sound-proofing, after you've attended to metal restoration...it's fitted for a reason wink

What's originally fitted does crack and loosen after time.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: What is this - 06/03/2024 23:33

If you want to remove it, cool it down with dry ice (solid CO2), it makes it brittle and shatters if you put a scraper between it and the steel bodywork.

My x1/9 has the same stuff.

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 09:34

Hey Pete, come to think about it I watched a video the other month and the person did exactly what you just said, the stuff on my car is pretty much just peeling off by hand in some areas.

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 11:35

Originally Posted by Jamjam12
Hey Pete, come to think about it I watched a video the other month and the person did exactly what you just said

That wasn't by any chance that ace Swiss YouTuber MyMechanics, restoring his Datsun 240Z?

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 13:37

Not wasn't, it was some dude in America with a BMW stripping it out for drifting/racing

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 16:18

A quick question regarding the floor, I've got the drivers rear foot well all sanded down ready for paint, should I paint that now then do the same for all the other foot wells or should I leave it, and tomorrow wire brush the other foot wells and paint all at once?

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 16:56

Paint all at one go, saves time, potential contamination of fresh-painted surface and no messing around with dirty brushes wink

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 17:25

Yep thought so, began working on removing the sound deadening stuff from the passenger side

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 17:32

Originally Posted by Edinburgh
Hey Pete, come to think about it I watched a video the other month and the person did exactly what you just said

That wasn't by any chance that ace Swiss YouTuber MyMechanics, restoring his Datsun 240Z?

from 1'15"
Posted By: szkom

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 18:30

A quick question regarding the floor, I've got the drivers rear foot well all sanded down ready for paint, should I paint that now then do the same for all the other foot wells or should I leave it, and tomorrow wire brush the other foot wells and paint all at once?

I'd give it coat of primer to make sure any exposed metal/treated areas don't flash rust on you. Nice thing about primer is that it's really easy to flat any imperfections and blend it.

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 21:41

from 1'15"

Just watched this, wow that is some attention to detail on that Datsun, a very interesting video to watch

Re: What is this - 07/03/2024 21:44

It's off-topic a bit but for sheer class it's worth watching his other stuff. Take a look at the amount of subscribers....
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK