Fiat Coupe Club UK

New owner what should I do?

Posted By: Ceramicolive

New owner what should I do? - 01/12/2018 20:57

Hi to all, I've just bought a cheap coupe as a stop gap car and it drives like a cheap car!

The problem is I love it and keep thinking that it would be amazing if it was sorted.

Now do I chuck some money at it? It's a 20v na 135,000 miles very low clutch pedal, doesn't get up to temp, the needle moves a little but not enough. No history with it. mot til July.

Or do I move it on and buy a sorted one? or do I try and run it until its next mot and take it from there?

I would say it probably needs 1.5k min throwing at it to get it anything like but is it worth it?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: New owner what should I do? - 01/12/2018 23:17

Welcome to the forum Ceramicolive wave

Clutch pedal: if you can lift it up with your foot to normal position but it sags again when idling say at traffic lights, think master cylinder.

If it's very low all the time check clutch fluid level, failing that when it sinks to the floor terminally think slave cylinder, under battery tray.

Low running temp will likely be thermostat failed in the open position, common fault. Sensible to change the temp sensor (?green top) at the same time.

Happy cooping!

Re: New owner what should I do? - 02/12/2018 06:42

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Welcome to the forum Ceramicolive wave

Clutch pedal: if you can lift it up with your foot to normal position but it sags again when idling say at traffic lights, think master cylinder.

If it's very low all the time check clutch fluid level, failing that when it sinks to the floor terminally think slave cylinder, under battery tray.

Low running temp will likely be thermostat failed in the open position, common fault. Sensible to change the temp sensor (?green top) at the same time.

Happy cooping!

Sorry, my fault, I meant the bite point is right at the bottom. The pedal itself operates normally. Thanks for the welcome.
Posted By: Alan_K

Re: New owner what should I do? - 02/12/2018 08:42

If it’s a non turbo your interested in
I would say look for sorted one as the interest in them not nearly as high as in the turbos at moment so getting a good one for reasonable money is very doable

Re: New owner what should I do? - 02/12/2018 17:46

Originally Posted By Alan_K
If it’s a non turbo your interested in
I would say look for sorted one as the interest in them not nearly as high as in the turbos at moment so getting a good one for reasonable money is very doable

Hi Alan, it is a 20v na that I want but it's finding one that's the isssue. Maybe I should just spend the money on the one I have and then I know it's right?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK