Fiat Coupe Club UK

What is the point of no claims bonus?

Posted By: AnnieMac

What is the point of no claims bonus? - 28/09/2017 05:45

I have maximum no-claims bonus but have had to pay more than double for insurance just because I reversed a car into a stationery vehicle at Tesco's two weeks after my husband died! They "protect" no-claims bonus but then up the premium if you have had an accident!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is the point of no claims bonus? - 28/09/2017 07:14

Imagine how much it would have been without the no claims. No claim discount gives you a % deduction to what the quote should have been.

Without an accident your quote would have been £500 then reduce for no claims discount, now £400.

With an accident your quote would have been £1000 then reduce for no claims discount, now £800.
Posted By: Submariner

Re: What is the point of no claims bonus? - 28/09/2017 08:23

NCD provides a discount, protected NCD seems in my experience to do relatively little/nothing, it is an enigma of the insurance industry. It has been proven that you pay more than you gain from protected NCD unless a claim is made in the first year, apparently.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is the point of no claims bonus? - 29/09/2017 13:22

Change your insurer!

Elephant had a go at increasing mine after someone went into the back of me a few years ago - a non fault claim, and the only incident I've had in over 15 years.

Changed provider and it ended up cheaper than it was with elephant prior to the incident.

I now shop it every year via a broker on a multicar policy which gives you some leverage, as being loyal to a particular company seems to get you very little...
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: What is the point of no claims bonus? - 29/09/2017 15:34

Quotes for new customers seems little more than a random number generator, and renewals are just a way of trying it on.
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: What is the point of no claims bonus? - 29/09/2017 18:52

I did just change my insurer, to Bank of Scotland, from Swiftcover, who had pissed me off. The thing is that there was no claim made regarding the accident because the other driver had no tax and, I suspect, no insurance. But because I reported it, it is still on the CUE database. I have asked Swiftcover to update the CUE record to say no payout was made, but they are taking their time because I'm not a customer any more. (I have the Coupe with Footman James, this policy is for my Alfa jalopy.)
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK