Fiat Coupe Club UK

Sh*t end to a perfect day.

Posted By: jasgol

Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/07/2013 20:19

Watched the Lions tear up the Aussies this morning (brilliant) and spent the afternoon tarting up my new pride and joy which I bought on Tuesday.
Down to the Blue bar for some food with friends, beautiful sunset, return to car, note on windscreen "a blue citroen reg ****** rolled back into your car etc.
FFS! how do you just leave your car without putting the fri*gin handbrake on or in gear!! stupid bloody woman.
What's the deal for sourcing a new bonnet?
click to enlarge
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/07/2013 20:44

Ouch frown

Maybe put a advert in the wanted section?

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/07/2013 20:51

^ will do, what's the score with insurance if I source the bonnet? (haven't made a claim in over 15 years so a bit clueless about how this works)

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/07/2013 21:05

If you have a reg, witnesses and contact details then you have 2 options I would imagine.

1.If you have contact details of the third party get in touch and see if they want to settle outside the insurance. I.e you get a quote for the repair and they send you the money.

2.If you have no contact details but car details and witnesses then you will just have to ring your insurance with the details. They will send you a mass of paperwork for you to fill in.

Someone else might be able to assist you further. My knowledge is limited in this area (as it is in most laugh )

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/07/2013 21:38

Try and get it sorted outside of the insurance companies where at all possible, otherwise they'll write it off in an instant. Any panel damage usually results in a cat C/D. If you want to keep her for ever, that's no problem, but you will find it more difficult to insure. If you intend to sell her at any stage she'll be worth less, plus again more difficult to insure for the prospective buyer. If you have contact details of the offender, keep it decent and business like and get a second hand bonnet and a price for a full front end re-spray so all parts match, wings, bumper etc. the you'll be happy with a chip free front end, well until. You get your first new chip that is wink
Good luck, Ross.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 06:03

Cheers Ross, bonnet i'm guessing is £100-200, has anyone recently had a front end re spray, how much for that?
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 06:10

Sorry to see what's happened Jasen frown

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 06:24

I'm gutted T, I was very civil towards her (we hung around waiting for her to return) but inside I was seething,and still am. 4 days I've had the car and her piece of **** Saxo rolls back onto my lovely coupe….and she had horrible yellow teeth.
I can't open the bonnet either, how/should I attempt to?

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 06:30

Oh sh*t Jasen, that is gutting. Hope you can come to an arrangement with her without resorting to an insurance claim. At least you did find out who the culprit was. All too often they just b*gger off.

The horrible yellow teeth would have made it worse for me also!

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 07:06

Hi Pete, I'll call her tonight when I've calmed down a bit and you're right, at least I've got her details.
I hardly slept last night, every time I woke up, all I could see were her bloody yellow teeth and scatty demeanour, she didn't seem to give a toss! and I think she even suspected that it was a set up. grr
I know it's just a car but as you fellow coopsters know it's not just a car.
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 07:48

Ah dude not good! And the yellow teeth just confirms her casual approach to dental hygiene. Twice a day people!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 07:55

Originally Posted By: jasgol

I can't open the bonnet either, how/should I attempt to?

Miserable luck so soon after getting her Jasgol frown

It's difficult to tell from your pic whether the shunt has pushed the whole bonnet back a tad which could jam the release catch. Try checking the clearance between the wipers and the bonnet edge or the bonnet corner alignment near the windscreen.

Perhaps with the help of an attractive assistant at the release handle you might be able to get some fingers round the w/screen edge of the bonnet and ease it toward the front as she pulls (awaits bawdy response laugh )
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 08:13

Really gutted for you Jasgol. shocked
Your right, for us it is not just a car...which is hard to explain to those who think otherwise!
Hope you get it all sorted soon and are ultimately happy with the outcome. smile

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 09:56

What's done is done so to speak, afterward you will have a new shiny, clean bonnet and she ........ will still have yellow teeth. wink

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 10:49

thanks for making me chuckle guys, it really does help :)…….i'm filling up here…..

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 18:17

…….i'm filling up here…..

You really should not use your mobile in a petrol station mate! wink

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/07/2013 22:08

The good news is she's agreed to settle with me directly, just got to find a bonnet now.
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 08/07/2013 03:47

Check hinges aren't bent dont think they will if slow speed.
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 08/07/2013 05:39

Hope you have everything on paper. People with horrible yellow teeth are known to suddenly deny anything has happened.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 08/07/2013 05:58

True, you can't trust 'em! Luckily a girl in the bar witnessed it and left her number, also have plenty of photos and a nice little video of me pushing her car up the road.
Posted By: Possum

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 08/07/2013 06:15

Watched the Lions tear up the Aussies this morning (brilliant) and spent the afternoon tarting up my new pride and joy which I bought on Tuesday.

Sorry to read of the your bent bonnet but I didn't think it was brilliant that the Lions tore up the Wallabies!

Hope the repair goes well and that "yellow teeth" comes good with the cash.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 09/07/2013 19:03

Update. Well what a surprise, after sending her the quote she says she can't afford it, and it was very reasonable coming in at under £680.
So here we go….I notified my insurance company on Saturday night, which will go on to the national database. Now when I renew and they ask if I've been involved in an accident, I have to say yes,(increasing my premium) otherwise my insurance will be invalid.
Because she had no damage to her car, she won't even have to pay an excess fee.
Now I have all the cat C/D crap to deal with too FFS.
No wonder people hate insurance companies.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 09/07/2013 19:33

Update. Well what a surprise, after sending her the quote she says she can't afford it, and it was very reasonable coming in at under £680.
So here we go….I notified my insurance company on Saturday night, which will go on to the national database. Now when I renew and they ask if I've been involved in an accident, I have to say yes,(increasing my premium) otherwise my insurance will be invalid.
Because she had no damage to her car, she won't even have to pay an excess fee.
Now I have all the cat C/D crap to deal with too FFS.
No wonder people hate insurance companies.

Miss yellow-teeth's car rolled into yours when you weren't in it, so you haven't been involved in an accident. You might have to say that you've made a third party claim, but that shouldn't affect your insurance. (Not your fault)

Why not contact her insurers and ask them to pay you £1,000 in full and final settlement, to cover your repair cost, inconvenience and some car hire. Avoid a Cat C/D by doing that. Sell it to them on the basis that writing off car will cost them much more.

People will say you can't do that, but money talks and if her insurance company can save money, they will. You need her policy details though and you need to deal direct with her insurers and not through yours.

By the way, I just bought an Inky VT6 as a Cat C write off, got Joe at FCSS to fix the damage as well as do cam-belt, water pump, auxiliary belts, service MOT and other stuff; took it for a VIC check to re-register it and taxed it same day. Is a really lovely, low mileage, good service history etc, car and Cat C doesn't bother me at all, because I saw all of the damage before I bought it. (very minor)

Sarah at Neil Willies sorted out a good deal on insurance, with no penalty for being Cat C and no hassle getting insurance whatsoever.

As a gesture of kindness, once her insurance has paid out, buy her a new toothbrush, some toothpaste and dental floss.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 09/07/2013 19:49

^ that's encouraging, I always fear the worst when dealing with these people, insurance bores me to death and it's such a minefield of small print and T's and c's. Thanks for the advice, knowledge is power.
I like the idea of a dental hygiene kit laugh

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 11/07/2013 12:02

I'd try and push for a repair settlement as the damage hasn't made the car un-roadworthy or unsafe. Its not like the chassis is now bent or the car would crumple in a smash now.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 11/07/2013 12:22

I held out for a repair settlement and got it (after going slightly ballistic at their cat c proposal))
Many thanks to everyone for the good advice,love this club.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 11/07/2013 12:29

Well done Jasen. A bit of a rant can yield results then!

Fingers crossed it all gets resolved quickly and your shiny new bonnet sees you back on the road and enjoying the car soon.
Posted By: Cappo

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 11/07/2013 13:51

In my experience, the insurance company WILL write it off it it goes through the claim procedure, simply because it's not possible to purchase a new bonnet any more (unless someone has started making them again?) and most if not all insurance companies won't underwrite the fitting of secondhand parts - so you'd be best off doing a deal with them.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 11/07/2013 15:09

Don't Auto DS make plastic bonnets?
Posted By: one4seven

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 12/07/2013 08:58

Originally Posted By: patch234
Don't Auto DS make plastic bonnets?

Yeah, for close to 1000 euros painted!

Must be cheaper to simply find another in the UK and have it sprayed. I just had a quote of £700 for a full bonnet respray including full blending into all adjacent panels.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 12/07/2013 15:27

I had my bonnet fixed (bent corner), debadged and fully resprayed for less than £200 about 5 years ago...

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/10/2013 11:41

Thought i'd take a few pics before winter storage. Here she is with new bonnet, skirts and wheels. Thanks to Joe at FCSS for sorting this. I've also fitted an OE metal gear knob and plastidipped the handbrake console smile so a happy ending after the initial trauma!
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/10/2013 11:57

Glad you have her sorted Jasgol - she looks great.
The culprit not doubt still has yellow teeth! wink

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/10/2013 17:24

Looking good Jasen. Always knew I should have got off my ar$e and fitted the LE kit. laugh
Posted By: DLT

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/10/2013 17:33

And I always knew I should have plastidipped the surround!

Jasgol....looking very fine indeed there smile

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/10/2013 19:02

Looking Good thumb
Posted By: bruce01

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/10/2013 19:50

Hi Jasgol, who did the centre console? Mine is really bad lol frown

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/10/2013 21:00

^ that was either DLT or pstruck, good job!
Posted By: bruce01

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 06/10/2013 21:03

Cheers Jasgol. Going to see DLT tomorrow. I will ask him. smile
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/10/2013 05:40

and plastidipped the handbrake console smile click to enlarge

Was it difficult to do it? It looks really good smile

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/10/2013 06:25

Originally Posted By: Freddan72
and plastidipped the handbrake console smile click to enlarge

Was it difficult to do it? It looks really good smile

Not hard but quite time consuming and a bit messy,after trying various things, I found steel wool pan scrubbers and nail varnish remover the most effective, as with any spray job, preparation is everything so take time to get all the gunk off.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/10/2013 09:42

Well done.

smile

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/10/2013 10:53

^ that was either DLT or pstruck, good job!

I did the centre console and what fun it was (not). Hours of scrubbing with wire wool, pan scrubbers and meths. I stank of meths for day after that! Finished with several coats of black Plastidip, with the last done very lightly from about 50cm to give it the nice textured surface.

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/10/2013 12:11

Where did you buy the gear knob from??

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 07/10/2013 14:11

It took 15 months of searching e bay. They're rare!

Re: Sh*t end to a perfect day. - 09/10/2013 10:25

great stuff all round!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK