Fiat Coupe Club UK

Save Curborough

Posted By: Anonymous

Save Curborough - 14/02/2011 18:29

I hadn't heard of this, until a week or two ago ... but there have been plans to build on the land around Curborough which would result in it being closed.

I believe that these plans were refused permission, but that has not stopped alternative plans proceeding.

See the attached link, and act on it if you want to see Curborough safe.

We, as the FCCUK, have had a couple of really good days there and it would be a real shame if it disappeared.

Save Curborough link on Locost Forum

Re: Save Curborough - 14/02/2011 19:30

done! this is a real motorsport tragedy in the making, another track cheap enough for the average man to utilise. miserable barstewards grr

Re: Save Curborough - 14/02/2011 20:23

Done, also, I will ve sending the same email from every PC at work.
That will add 20 more emails to the cause.

Shocking.
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Save Curborough - 15/02/2011 09:08

Done as well

Re: Save Curborough - 15/02/2011 19:42

Done.

Re: Save Curborough - 15/02/2011 21:35

Done
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Save Curborough - 15/02/2011 22:12

Done
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Save Curborough - 16/02/2011 00:27

Dave,

As much as the club have enjoyed the use of the track for fccuk events, I can't say, honestly hand in heart, that I'd miss curborough if it went.
Firstly, it's not a track. More a go kart circuit.
Secondly, what heritage does it have? It's no silverstone, brands, goodwood or Donny?
I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why we're all getting upset about?
Can anyone explain this to me? I know I'm not the only one who feels like this.
I know if someone was going to bulldoze Castle Combe I may be prepared to tie myself to a tree :-)

Re: Save Curborough - 16/02/2011 08:33

Dan

I've got no problem with that ... you, of course, are welcome to your opinion. And I can understand exactly what you are saying. However my opinion is different, and I think it would be a great shame to see Curborough go.

It has got some considerable heritage ... Curborough history , although (of course) it's no F1 track. It's been around for over 50 years, and has seen a great deal of use in that time.

And I disagree that it's a go-kart circuit ... it is a very testing track. Ok, so you don't go hooning at 140mph down the back straight, but I guarantee that if you can get a lap or two of Curborough correct (and by that I mean tidyly and speedily picking the lines), you'll actually be demonstrating far more skill than the above hoon! And the next time that you go to Silverstone, you'll actually travel a lot faster, and a lot safer!

And because of this, it's a fantastic place to learn how to drive a car quickly on a track. The last FCCUK day there demonstrated this admirably. I don't think it would have been anywhere near as much fun if we were all sat in our own Coupes simply chasing each other round Silverstone. It was great to have the short runs that we could each watch and analyse, and the ability to go out in many others cars to see how they attacked the problem.

And that brings me to my penultimate point. If nothing else FCCUK has had some great days out there, and it would be a great shame if we lost that opportunity, I believe.

And my final point is that I'm always worried when somthing like this happens. The 'thin edge of the wedge' type situation? All those people who think that having fun on a track is a ridiculous, noisy, smelly, un-environmentally friendly thing. I'm not saying that this is what is driving the situation here ... in fact, it probably isn't. But loosing one track could be the slow drip-drip of others??

Of course ... all IMHO smile

Re: Save Curborough - 16/02/2011 08:40

great post Dave - I'd also add the obvious, that it's a heavily used track by many car-clubs and used for sprinting competition. now that may not be everyone's cup of tea but to the participants it mans a great deal.

it's also a relatively cheap place for young/new/inexprerienced drivers to learn some crucial skills, and the Buttons and Hamiltons of tomorrow need these type of facilities on which to hone their abilities.

as Dave rightly points out, it's not all about top end speed and bhp - driving never should be

Re: Save Curborough - 16/02/2011 09:03

Just to make every one aware, there is going to be another Curborough day done by the club!

also, great post Dave!
it was driving your coupe which made me decided on what suspension set up to go for!

as you said its not a massive track or massivly fast trac, but it makes you work!

also, its a fun day out!
getting to see people going for it, having a laugh!

and lets face it, we have had jokes there!

me spinning... alot...
Mario indicating on the first corner
Proccy getting the purple flag when his lap was over...

it would be a shame to lose that track!!

oh 4 more email sent from my work computers today! smile

Re: Save Curborough - 16/02/2011 10:06

Fantastic post Dave and I agree fully with you.

Re: Save Curborough - 16/02/2011 20:51

God damn right Dave, spot on. Not only do enthusiasts loose out so do the club racers in sprints etc.

Mail sent!
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Save Curborough - 17/02/2011 19:02

I have been going to Curborough for around forty years - I used to cycle there as a young kid and watch all sorts of stuff going round - single seaters, Minis, Imps, dirty great Chevvys - even saw an ex-F1 car there that set a lap record of 26 seconds (which stood for many years)

Its not as evocative as Shelsey Walsh, but it is revered amongst the Sprint fraternity

Also, as has been mentioned above, despite it looking like a very simple, even a boring track, its fiendishly difficult to get right and always a challenge

Re: Save Curborough - 18/02/2011 08:47

No wonder your fast round it Nigel - you've got a 40 year head start on us whipper snappers laugh
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Save Curborough - 18/02/2011 11:53

LOL - I must admit, I did cycle round it a few times as a youngster, but its difficult to understand the intricacies of traction, braking and cornering when you're a ten year old on a Raleigh Chopper rolleyes

Re: Save Curborough - 18/02/2011 12:02

Nigel... you may kill me for this...

BUT

did any one thing of this after nigel comment??

click to enlarge

...i need to find a more interesting job.. coat
Posted By: MattM

Re: Save Curborough - 18/02/2011 13:53

Originally Posted By: Marco20valveT
Nigel... you may kill me for this...

BUT

did any one thing of this after nigel comment??

click to enlarge

[s][/s]
...i need to find a more interesting job.. coat

All I could think of was a huge penny farthing riding round the track!

Re: Save Curborough - 18/02/2011 14:04

LMAO!!

all i could fine was this
click to enlarge
Posted By: mayzon

Re: Save Curborough - 23/02/2011 17:47

Done

Re: Save Curborough - 06/03/2011 09:15

Done, I'd hate to see Curborough go, I used to go up there to contest the Triple C Sprint championship 20 odd years ago, the picture below is me returning from there tongue Happy days.

click to enlarge

Re: Save Curborough - 24/05/2011 13:22

Just in case anyone else has had the same email, I got an email yesterday from Lichfield District Council saying I had registered an account and submitted a comment.

Cue minor panic and all sorts of identity theft scenarios.

Its turns out that the 'Save Curborough' petition goes to the Lichfield district council, they provide you with a link to show what is happening with the petition. I haven't checked it yet but its been 3 months since it started??

Any know any more?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK