Fiat Coupe Club UK

Project front end mechanical - Discussion

Posted By: Edinburgh

Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 28/10/2022 16:08

Fire your comments here smile

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 30/11/2022 16:43

Take it you do welding for a living Frazer? Looks nice solid work and I like that muckle tackle-anything vice on the corner smile

Those eiffels are in excellent condition for their age!
Posted By: clanger

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 30/11/2022 20:43

Sound idea, I have gone over to putting all my larger workshop items on wheels, makes a real practical difference that one does not appreciate until done.
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 01/12/2022 06:41

I only learnt gas welding years ago. I much prefer it but it’s not very practical for diy use.
I switched to arc as the units are cheap and will weld heavy stuff. Never tried mig.
Most learning was YouTube and trial and error. I’m not good still but getting the hang of it now.

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 01/12/2022 06:43

Yes, the Eiffel’s are in fantastic shape. Very pleased not to have to replace these.
It is down to no salt on the roads for most of the cars life and being garaged.

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 01/12/2022 06:45

I highly recommend putting benches on wheels. Makes life much easier. I put two locking wheels on the front and it’s enough even when beating metal in the vice. No movement at all.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Project front end mechanical - 18/12/2022 13:41

Looks really good Frazer. I did some of those bits on mine but I didn't take engine/gearbox out, so won't be as comprehensive as yours.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: Project front end mechanical - 18/12/2022 19:55

Looks great

Re: Project front end mechanical - 19/12/2022 06:31

It’s one of those jobs trying to decide where to stop. I ended up thinking to paint what I could get to without taking more stuff off and live with it. It’s not a full restoration after all.
I will do the same on the other side once I do the cambelt. It’s worse so needs doing but access will be more limited to.

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 31/12/2022 14:28

The freshly-painted engine bay looks great and apart from protection it just makes it so much easier to spot any discolouration or leaks.

Can't believe what good nick the eiffel towers are in cool

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 31/12/2022 15:23

It’s way more work than I intended to do but I am glad I did.

I thought the eiffel’s would have been worse too. Just surface rust. Now treated and painted so should last many more years.

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 31/12/2022 15:35

I watch a lot of restoration videos (my mechanics, Hand Tool Rescue, AT restoration, LADB etc) and the electrolysis tank crops up frequently - the resulting gunge always reminds me of the homebrew kits I used to attack in my mis-spent 20's laugh
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 31/01/2023 18:00

Only just seen this Frazer.
Good work going on there mate.
I hope life is treating you both well out there.

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 02/02/2023 14:01

Hi Joe,
All very good here thanks. Time has flown by. Been here over 2 years now.
How are you two doing in France? Hope everything is going well and that you are still getting on the track as much as you can.
Frazer

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 18/05/2023 19:48

Looks fantastic Frazer. You must be pleased with the results.

love

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 19/05/2023 04:33

Hi Toby,

Yes. Very happy with how it looks. I could have done more, but decided early on that it wasn't going to be a full restoration. I wanted everything to be in good working order for long term reliability. Hopefully that's what I have managed here.

Once this is finished Karen can use the car this summer and we can look at getting a respray done over the winter ready for Turin. Well, that's the plan at least!!!.

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 19/05/2023 11:48

Well, from the looks of it, you've given it a good going over. Must be so satisfying. Mine was a semi resto too. Plenty more I could do but just getting mechanically sorted plus sorting out any rust. Respray is the next and hopefully final job....

I'd hoped to be bringing a 20VT to Turin, but didn't go ahead in the end. Probably a regret but can't justify the money at the moment. So it will probably be the trusty VIS again.
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 19/05/2023 12:58

Likewise looks a great job done overall

similarly with mine I've focused on the mechanical stuff for now, but if the engine requires a rebuild, then I'll do a full body respray etc

Cheers Jamie

Re: Project front end mechanical - Discussion - 19/05/2023 14:35

Looking forward to meeting up again Toby. Not too long now. Great that you still have the VIS. You have done a load of work over the last couple of years.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK