Fiat Coupe Club UK

Tilting car lift

Posted By: clanger

Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 09:41

Has anyone here used one of these before?

https://www.cjautos.eu/NEW_3_IN_1_TILTING_CAR_LIFT_p/cl01.htm

I've got 4 elderly cars to maintain now and the routine of jacks, axle stands and the car still not really being high enough is wearing thin. Looks to be a compromise over a full lift which I cannot justify. I'm tempted...
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 09:51

They are tempting I agree - a tidy small footprint solution for smallish cars and not that much money considering the alternatives
I built my own ramps in the end for my Coupes as the weight of them exceeded that of the tilt lifts I saw at the time
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 10:04

I like that, I had been looking at a much more expensive hydraulic solution from Costco which has the advantage of nothing in the way in the middle...
Posted By: Serg1

Re: Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 11:14

On my Christmas wish list!

Re: Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 11:47

I would love a hydraulic lift but just can't justify the expenditure plus my workshop is used for other work not just cars, I need it to pack away. The Costco job looks good but is still too expensive for me.

Further reading, issues are; unable to drive the car over it due to width, it has to be slid in from the side. I would need to park the coupe front wheels on a couple of bit of wood as I only have 12-13 cm clearance on the front sills and this sits 15 cm high. I now have the full pdf manual and it recommends using axle stands when lifted, "belt and braces". I would do this anyway as with any jack system.

Given the cost vs practicality for 95% of jobs it does seem a fair compromise. I'll sleep on it some more...
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 13:32

Maybe these would be a better option. i saw someone on the TVR forum using them (four in total) to raise the car up.

https://www.cjautos.eu/product_p/cr012.htm

Re: Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 14:39

Yes I saw those and they do look good but no use for brakes and suspension
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 15:39

I think he raised the card with them, then put a frame or stands underneath and lowered them down (can't remember which).
Posted By: cyborg7

Re: Tilting car lift - 19/11/2019 21:35

Originally Posted by clanger
Has anyone here used one of these before?

https://www.cjautos.eu/NEW_3_IN_1_TILTING_CAR_LIFT_p/cl01.htm

I've got 4 elderly cars to maintain now and the routine of jacks, axle stands and the car still not really being high enough is wearing thin. Looks to be a compromise over a full lift which I cannot justify. I'm tempted...

I don't want to pour cold water on any of these, but when you say elderly, but are you sure that any of these would be suitable in terms of the jacking points. I'd not dare lift my lancia or fiat off it's cills and all of these seem to rely on coming off those. It maybe that my imagination can't stretch to how they'd work for me and maybe they allow for some sort of cross beam, but I couldn't see how I'd use them.

Re: Tilting car lift - 20/11/2019 08:47

Most Lancias and Fiats that I can think of (early 70's to 80's) had a front and rear jacking point which was a square shaped "slot" welded to the sill, and in later years 80's onwards the location is similar but you just use a pad across the seam in the sills (like on the Coupe) so for these car lifts that fit under the sills either side, I would expect to use some suitable pads. The Quickjack that I linked to has some "pinch weld" blocks but they don't come as standard, and are a ridiculous £80 for a set of 4. When I got first got my Coupe over 20 years ago, I picked up a block of wood and cut a groove in it, as per the user handbook. I'd do the same thing if I got one of these lifting/tilting ramps, make up 4 suitable blocks (or cut a groove in the blocks that are supplied with the Quickjack for example)
Posted By: cyborg7

Re: Tilting car lift - 22/11/2019 22:32

Mine turned out to in pretty poor nick to be honest and the cills wouldn't have been up to it. Not that I knew it at the time unfortunately. It probably belonged in a skip. Couple of photos, before and what was lurking beneath:

Last photo: Compared to the Clio, it looks you should be able to lift it up by hand...

Attached picture WP_20170319_002.jpg
Attached picture WP_20170417_001.jpg
Attached picture st2.jpg

Re: Tilting car lift - 23/11/2019 09:00

Love that last photo, shows how much cars have grown and the Clio is classed as a 'small' car.

Re: Tilting car lift - 06/12/2019 15:49

A brief follow up, I bit the bullet and bought one (not from the link on first post but identical)

Its a substantial bit of kit, lifts the Coupe with ease and is very quick to lift and descend provided you use an electric drill, the manual handle provided works well but is tiring and takes a lot of effort/turns. I have to drive the Coupe onto a couple of planks of wood to give me the clearance to get it under the car as it has lowered springs, a stand sprung car would likely not require the planks.

There is one issue which I anticipated and that is the Coupe weight distribution, being so front heavy, even with a 3/4 tank of fuel the car naturally wants to keep its nose down when being lifted. This is solved by getting someone to sit on the open boot lip whilst lifting then using the tallest axle stands you can get and placing under the front. Its a trade off I can live with and my other cars will not have this problem being a little more evenly balanced. Working on the rear subframe at present and the height is very much appreciated - VERY easy access.

Bang for buck I think for me it has been a good buy

Re: Tilting car lift - 06/12/2019 16:36

Are you able to post a few pics showing the car lift, and the car in position on the lift?

Re: Tilting car lift - 06/12/2019 17:10

Originally Posted by DaveG
Are you able to post a few pics showing the car lift, and the car in position on the lift?

I'll have a go tomorrow - might have to take a pic through the workshop window so as to get perspective

Re: Tilting car lift - 07/12/2019 12:06

The last photo shows how much further lift it has to go, red band on the telescopic tube fully to the left and its at full height. If I had the rear wheels on I would lift the front horizontal but I think you can see how much lift is possible from these photos.

Attached picture DSCN2826-1.jpg
Attached picture DSCN2828.jpg
Attached picture DSCN2829.jpg

Re: Tilting car lift - 07/12/2019 13:30

Thanks for the pics! I can't tell however if you have used any blocks on the sill seams (in the cut-out gaps in the side skirt) or exactly what is supporting the weight of the car?

Re: Tilting car lift - 07/12/2019 13:34

Yes, oak blocks as spec'ed in the manual. Same ones I use for axle stands
Posted By: french_coupe

Re: Tilting car lift - 21/12/2019 16:52

I have one of these. I really like it as the height is good. As stated the only issue is the weight distribution issue.It really helps when you need decent access underneath. Axle stands just don't do it.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK