Fiat Coupe Club UK

Using a barometer, how high is this tower?

Posted By: barnacle

Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 13/11/2016 11:00

Let's see some suggestions - I'll start with some obvious ones:

1) find the architect and say 'Tell me how high the tower is and I'll give you this fine barometer'

2) use the barometer as a measuring stick

3) stand the barometer in the shadow of the tower and use the principle of equal triangles

4) make the barometer the bob of a pendulum and calculate the height from the period of the pendulum
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 13/11/2016 11:31

5) drop the barometer from the top of the tower and count (followed by a lengthy period of barometer parts retrieval)

6) put the barometer on ebay and buy a tape measure
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 13/11/2016 12:18

I think you've raised the bar on this occasion Neil.

Where's the bar? drink

Judging by the December Saturday nights I've seen in Carlisle over the years most folk would fail a barometer test. frown
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 13/11/2016 17:49

Aren't a barometer and a pressure altimeter the same thing?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 13/11/2016 18:22

What's the barometer measuring in, inHg?

You could always subtract the pressure readings from top and bottom of the tower but I guess you'll need temperature too to be anywhere near mildly accurate.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 13/11/2016 18:22

Originally Posted By: jimbob13
Aren't a barometer and a pressure altimeter the same thing?

Yes, just different dials but they work on the same principle, measuring atmospheric pressure.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 13/11/2016 22:56

Commission the the largest barometer ever built - the size of the tower, and get them to send over the specs. Lunch.
Posted By: JonH

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 14/11/2016 17:18

Unfortunately by the time you've ascended the tower to take reading number two (assuming reading number one at the base) odds are that atmospheric pressure will have varied naturally anyway, introducing error on the comparative result.

Whilst recognising Ignoring the issues of gravity You'd need two barometers to relate to each other, leave one at the tower base and take one up with you, and take readings at specific identical times before doing the appropriate calculations.
And you'll need two watches or other timing devices as well !!!

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 14/11/2016 19:03

Here's two: weigh the barometer at ground level, and weigh it again at the top of the tower; use the change in weight to calculate the gravity and therefore the distance from the centre of the earth.

Or, in a similar vein, use the barometer as a pendulum, measure the period, take it to the top and observe the difference in period; again, this tells you the gravity at the top and the bottom.

JohH, if you choose a calm sunny high-pressure day, you'll find that the pressure is likely to change by only fractions of a millibar over the course of the day. The rate of change of pressure with altitude is much greater.

(For what it's worth, I have an aneroid barometer on the wall which was made in 1917 and is quite capable of noting the pressure difference between the floor and the ceiling. According to it, Hemel moves up and down by several hundred feet from time to time!)
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 14/11/2016 19:11

Are you re-measuring St Mary's spire Neil?

click to enlarge
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 14/11/2016 19:19

Ah, but if all you have is a barometer and the tower, how do you propose measuring the period of the pendulum.....or indeed tie it to anything?
Posted By: JonH

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 14/11/2016 19:23

Originally Posted By: barnacle
Here's two: weigh the barometer at ground level, and weigh it again at the top of the tower; use the change in weight to calculate the gravity and therefore the distance from the centre of the earth.

Or, in a similar vein, use the barometer as a pendulum, measure the period, take it to the top and observe the difference in period; again, this tells you the gravity at the top and the bottom.

JohH, if you choose a calm sunny high-pressure day, you'll find that the pressure is likely to change by only fractions of a millibar over the course of the day. The rate of change of pressure with altitude is much greater.

(For what it's worth, I have an aneroid barometer on the wall which was made in 1917 and is quite capable of noting the pressure difference between the floor and the ceiling. According to it, Hemel moves up and down by several hundred feet from time to time!)

Agreed the differance in fractions of millibars is small but it depends how accurate you a want the height to be determined.
And gravity is affected by earth tides so again time differances in measurements can make a differance to the final calculated figures. It sucks laugh !

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 14/11/2016 20:46

Well, I guess we'd better hope that it's a mercury barometer from which we can McGyver a laser rangefinder...

The change of pressure with height, close to sea level, is around 27mmHg/1000ft - call it 0.1mBar/meter. It slows down as you get higher; there's less air sitting on top.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Using a barometer, how high is this tower? - 17/11/2016 23:52

Go up the tower with the barometer and a high speed camera. Wait till some smartarse yells "What's the weather like up there?". Record the whole thing on the camera and then analyse the time delay between the audio and video. crazy
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK