Posted By: jimboy

new top gear - 29/05/2016 16:25

Tonight with Chris Evans & co 8pm.

Re: new top gear - 29/05/2016 21:10

OK, anyone have any thoughts on this? driving
Posted By: Carlscott

Re: new top gear - 29/05/2016 21:12

It was never going to be the same, everyone knows that.

Trouble is the chemistry just isn't there between Matt and Chris, it's too forced.

Chris Evans came across like he had too much fuzzy pop before the start of the show and what's his wardrobe all about? I like Chris Evans but on tonight's episode I just found him to be rather annoying, Matt isn't a TV presenter but I didn't think he did too badly, I think with time he will become more natural in front of the camera.

The star in the reasonably priced car was a shambles, I understand that the beep needed to change things but why go to the effort (or lack of) and completely ruin it, I can't remember the Americans name, but why have someone on the show that clearly doesn't give a hoot about motoring? The whole crowd participation part? I was shaking my head in disbelief.

Overall I personally think it was really disappointing, woeful and cringe worthy, I eagerly await Clarkson and Co's new show on amazon!
Posted By: robcoupe20vt

Re: new top gear - 29/05/2016 21:18

Chris should buy himself a decent set of clothes for the show with all his money . Matt was funny and can only get better . Evans reminds me of an 80s childrens tv game show jumping around too much . Not bad and i would watch it again . Ramseys first good car was a Fiat Strada 105TC MK1 ? I owned quite a few of them back in the 1980s .
Posted By: spyke

Re: new top gear - 29/05/2016 21:30

Well I didn't expect it to be good but I didn't expect it to be that bad!

Re: new top gear - 29/05/2016 21:31

Indeed it was never going to be, well a notch above what was before. The one thing that irritated me the most was the fact LeBlanc referred to the "Brits" every five minuets when the American v Britain thing was going on. This may be a trivial point to some, but it will stick in my head the entire series. Early days & all that but I suspect a lot more irritating moments to come.
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: new top gear - 29/05/2016 22:18

Sadly, not an entirely successful debut was it?

The chemistry was not there at all????

The worst bit for me was the notion of inviting guests to tell us without any humility at all, what new super car they have just ordered.... rolleyes
Inviting envy is an odd way to go?
BUT, because it is about cars, I suspect I will keep watching, unless or until Evans just becomes TOO annoying blush
Posted By: PeteP

Re: new top gear - 29/05/2016 22:26

Less than 5 minutes was enough for me - but then I have never been a fan of Chris Evans.
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: new top gear - 29/05/2016 23:23

I've been sharpening a toothbrush handle since the first time I saw Mr. Evans, just in case I ever bump into him. That aside, I believe that once they find their feet they could actually make something of this.

They just need to break free of the established template, Chris Evans is not Jeremy Clarkson, so he should stop trying to be. The forced "banter" between him and Matt Le Blanc is painful to watch, if they genuinely don't get on then they should use that to their advantage, plenty of offscreen wars have made for excellent onscreen entertainment in the past.

The star in a reasonably priced car section just felt like desperate filler and I would rather see the news section in its place.

I'll keep watching, but only because I'm an eternal optimist.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 00:48

I've been in work so haven't watched it yet, although looking at comments here, doesn't seem like it's going to be worth watching.

It just won't be the same any more, but was looking forward to at least giving it a go.

James May tweeted earlier: I'm really looking forward to watching Top Gear without knowing what happens in the end.

laugh
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 05:09

I think we forget that the "chemistry" between the old TG team wasn't there at the start - in fact it was horribly wooden and disjointed. I don't know (and I'm not sure I care) if the new team can develop that chemistry but it would be entirely unrealistic to believe it can be there from the off.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 06:54

utter tosh...mr le blanca was irritating to say the least, evans was over the top, i watched it without smiling once and that sums it up for me . The old top gear would always amuse me , no matter how down you felt, this show couldnt raise a chuckle if it tried. I wasnt expecting much and thats what i got !
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 08:29

Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
I think we forget that the "chemistry" between the old TG team wasn't there at the start - in fact it was horribly wooden and disjointed. I don't know (and I'm not sure I care) if the new team can develop that chemistry but it would be entirely unrealistic to believe it can be there from the off.

This.
Posted By: zigman36

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 10:37

Evans had to many e numbers in him. His manic behaviour affected the shows flow. The road trip was pointless. No chemistry between the presenters. Clarkson for all his faults still managed to interview reasonably priced car stars. And can someone tell leblanc we don't drive sedans!

The old top gear had become too scripted, but at least it was well put together.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 10:37

It has Chris Evans in it. The only possible chemistry is stink bombs.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 12:15

It's independence day here, day off. So I downloaded and watched it. Absolute pile of shite, they would of been better getting three unknowns rather than these guys. Utter borefest IMO
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 12:34

If I'm watching TV and half way through a show I start texting or visit this forum's general discussion section to read you lot's opinions about oven cleaning or gardening I know it's bad. No offence ;-)
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 13:23

Evans never stopped shouting for some reason, le Blanc was amusing at times, 3 wheelers to Blackpool ? Nothing new about Reliants and even the Top Gun segment was a rehash in many ways of earlier shows.

It needs time to find its niche and some chemistry but if it hasn't found it by episode 3 I fear it may be the last series.
Posted By: H_R

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 14:14

As above no chemistry
Also it felt like a "top gear" script and then replace the presenters with different people
Chris Evens was even doing clarkesque talking whilst in the viper almost too much trying to be like clarkson
Chris Evens in my oppinion is the wrong host for the show he's to in your face!

I really miss the grumpy demeanour of clarkson and the genuine witty comments! the old trio could probably make hosting the chelsea garden festival funny!

Matt Le Blanc wasnt too bad and was streets ahead of Evens but the German lady was awful i know shes been in it before on a few occasions and she is probably a decent racing driver or something but just really bad in front of the camera! she was the "wurst" part of the show even worse than an awful Evens

I shall watch again if i get the opportunity but wont cry if i miss it

Glad i have my Amazon Prime subscription and am looking forward to "The grand tour" or whatever it's called laugh

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 15:19

Watching Top Gear Extra Gear. Just saw Chris Harris describe their new rallyx track as having "slip angles".

Maybe he should look up what a slip angle is before using the term on TV. There are enough people in the world misunderstanding it's meaning already.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 16:18

I think he knows, he does race cars and has done for quite a while.
I just watched it on I player and he didn't give very good context to the comment. Probably could have explained it better.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 16:19

It's getting destroyed on pistonheads also

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 16:27

In your opinion.... wink

Say what you want about Clarkson & co, but many,many people tuned in world wide to watch their antics. It ain't going to happen with this lot.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 17:40

Originally Posted By: jimboy

In your opinion.... wink

Say what you want about Clarkson & co, but many,many people tuned in world wide to watch their antics. It ain't going to happen with this lot.

People did - but it took a while to get it right. I thought the old one was lame and I think the new one is lame too.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 18:03

In your opinion.... wink

People did - but it took a while to get it right. I thought the old one was lame and I think the new one is lame too.

Understand where you're coming from & all that, I get the fact you do not like this sort of stuff at all, but it's one thing to be irritated by some knob on television, but in the the past you've practically lambasted Clarkson & you'd be happy to see him dead..... shocked Things do irritate me on the box & certain so called celebs, but I certainly wouldn't come on here wanting revenge tongue the way you wanted on Clarkson, just for doing a job.

Again not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm a bit curious why you hate someone you've never met (or have you wink ) with so much vile. I've said before it's only too easy to come on to a forum & let go with something to let off steam.... type
Posted By: szkom

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 18:07

Wobbly start, but then so was the first series of the last lot. Wasn't it the start of the second series where they replaced a presenter and the show started to gain momentum?

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 18:12

In your opinion.... wink

Understand where you're coming from & all that, I get the fact you do not like this sort of stuff at all, but it's one thing to be irritated by some knob on television, but in the the past you've practically lambasted Clarkson & you'd be happy to see him dead..... shocked Things do irritate me on the box & certain so called celebs, but I certainly wouldn't come on here wanting revenge tongue the way you wanted on Clarkson, just for doing a job.

Again not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm a bit curious why you hate someone you've never met (or have you wink ) with so much vile. I've said before it's only too easy to come on to a forum & let go with something to let off steam.... type

Are you confusing me with someone else, Jim? Clarkson's a certified knob as confirmed by friends who have met him but I don't think I've ever wished him dead or had so much "vile" [sic] (bile?)

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 18:15

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
I just watched it on I player and he didn't give very good context to the comment. Probably could have explained it better.

Clearly he doesn't. There is no context in which a track can have anything to do with slip angle.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 18:22

Originally Posted By: szkom
Wobbly start, but then so was the first series of the last lot. Wasn't it the start of the second series where they replaced a presenter and the show started to gain momentum?

Yep, they got rid of the trader guy and bought in James May.

The format was almost unchanged from series 1 though. The studio audience was tiny at first and they experimented with one or two additional segments, one where Ed China made an appearance. But essentially the same.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 18:38

Are you confusing me with someone else, Jim? Clarkson's a certified knob as confirmed by friends who have met him but I don't think I've ever wished him dead or had so much "vile" [sic] (bile?) [/quote]

Richard,I would never consider myself a big fan running after him for an autograph sort of chap, but I did find him entertaining in what he did, but I certainly wouldn't make such a judgment without meeting Clarkson/anyone first, you have came across at times more than a hater..Ironically he has ridiculed us Scots at times, but hey it's all part of the act.

I to have friends who met the man & I was told he was the only one who made an effort & spoke, bit of banter to boot. So there you go now two different sides. I think it would be interesting if you met the man yourself, but then again I would guess you be hating the man from a distance right from the start.... laugh

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 18:44

But, Jim, I don't hate him....I used to really like him when he wrote for Fast Lane - I think the old TG just got incredibly lame.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 18:51

I never cared about who presented top gear now or in the old format. For me it's about the machines and the new towns ,cities and country's.

I don't think there are enough programs about all types of vehicles and engineering in general. It's my fault really as I don't subscribe to any pay for Chanel's etc.

We need to remember that most presenters are someone's son/daughter or father/mother.

A bit of respect makes life nicer.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 19:17

TV presenting doesn't get shoutier than this.

Could've got Greg Wallance to do it huh.

Hopefully it'll settle into it's own style but please stop trying to be the old top gear.

AND STOP SHOUTING ALL THE BLOODY TIME.

p.s. not sure if I mentioned all the shouting.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 19:56

Originally Posted By: OnlyItalian

Clearly he doesn't. There is no context in which a track can have anything to do with slip angle.

Really, so surface changes or surfaces in general aren't 50% of the components in generating a slip angle? His comment sounded fine to me, in the context of dirty tyres and track condition changes.
Try looking into Chris Harris, he's got quite alot of history racing and being a motor journalist.
Posted By: Henklia

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 19:59

I too was a bit disappointed that they merely copied the old format. That said, a new team of presenters has to grow on me as well. The sad thing about Clarkson and co. is that they also kept on repeating themselves and almost turned themselves into a parody. The end of their show would have been inevitable within a year or so given the lack of originality. Driving cars almost nobody can afford, etc. It was more a show about them than a show about cars, something which topgear really should be about!

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 20:50

Really, so surface changes or surfaces in general aren't 50% of the components in generating a slip angle? His comment sounded fine to me, in the context of dirty tyres and track condition changes.
Try looking into Chris Harris, he's got quite alot of history racing and being a motor journalist.

Sure, the amount of surface grip has an effect on slip angle but I don't see the relevance in terms of whether a track is entertaining or not.

I think my understanding of slip angle might be different to yours Muzzie but I don't want to go completely off topic by getting into a what I'm sure would be a reasoned discussion between intelligent, articulate individuals. After all it's quite a complicated subject to discuss solely in text, hence why it's so misunderstood.

We could always start another thread in the handling section. What d'you reckon?

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 21:34

No regrets on cancelling my TV license last year after watching this garbage on Iplayer.

If it doesn't get (much) better very quickly this will surely be the last series.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 21:40

Originally Posted By: GrahamL
No regrets on cancelling my TV license last year after watching this garbage on Iplayer.

If it doesn't get (much) better very quickly this will surely be the last series.

Do you not (yet) need a licence to watch iplayer? I thought you did (or will)

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 21:42

Do you not (yet) need a licence to watch iplayer? I thought you did (or will)

Not yet, they've recently been talking about changing that though.

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 22:10

Sure, the amount of surface grip has an effect on slip angle but I don't see the relevance in terms of whether a track is entertaining or not.

I think my understanding of slip angle might be different to yours Muzzie but I don't want to go completely off topic by getting into a what I'm sure would be a reasoned discussion between intelligent, articulate individuals. After all it's quite a complicated subject to discuss solely in text, hence why it's so misunderstood.

We could always start another thread in the handling section. What d'you reckon?

Yes, if you like! It'll make a nice change from the norm.

My comments were more directed towards having a technically competent speaking driver, rather than just stig.

I'll rewatch Harris and listen to his delivery, see if I can hear what you are.
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 22:42

Well, in the interest of balance, I enjoyed it overall. There were bits I hated a bits I really liked.

I don't get why they interviewed two people with no connection at the same time. In the past they've interviewed in pairs but they've always been members of the same band or actors playing opposite each other in the same film.

This double interview didn't work for me. And, as others have said, do most of us sat at home want to hear about how much money Gordon Ramsey has? I related more to Jessie Eisenberg who was at least a bit humble and grounded.

However, I liked that they changed the lap to a rally cross stage and gave them a half-decent car.I hope they keep that.

The presenters are a matter of personal taste. If you dislike Chris Evans then you are unlikely to enjoy this iteration of Top Gear.

Personally, I like that he has genuine enthusiasm for the job and his love of cars is evident. If I had been handed this role (regardless of how wealthy I already was) I'd have a permanent Ricciardo grin and you'd inevitably find me quite annoying because I probably wouldn't stop going on about it.

Le Blanc was good IMO. The first American presenter on a British institution of a show is bound to draw criticism from but I thought he did it in his own way and didn't try to imitate anything that has come before.

This series was never going to get rave reviews. Those that loved the old line up will slate whoever took over (much like Evans taking over Wogan) and those that disposed the previous lot will now moan because the new series it too similar.

I'll keep watching and I'll probably check out Clarkson and co. on Amazon when it arrives.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: new top gear - 30/05/2016 23:23

Saw the repeat tonight. As there have been fairly negative reviews I had low expectations. But on balance, I thought it was ok and think the show has potential.

Hopefully, they'll find their own path and take TG in a fresh direction and put the Clarkson era to bed.

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 00:06

I only saw the start of it.........will catch all for a full review later but an initial opinion - they should've used the opportunity to make a complete new start afresh.... new logo / new music - not the same old formats / style / comments which is what I saw from the start.... YouTube car reviewers are making the best PetrolHeadonism stuff for me now...

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 01:14

Richard,I would never consider myself a big fan running after him for an autograph sort of chap,

I'm that sort of female laugh click to enlarge

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 01:49

Originally Posted By: Theresa

Richard,I would never consider myself a big fan running after him for an autograph sort of chap,

laugh

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 06:52

Is that really you Theresa? laugh
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 07:14

Originally Posted By: Nello
- they should've used the opportunity to make a complete new start afresh.... new logo / new music - not the same old formats / style / comments which is what I saw from the start...

I totally agree with this. It just seemed like a parody of the tedious bits from the Clarkson era.

Got as far as half way through the embarrassing Reliant segment before turning it off. Not for me!
Posted By: bezzer

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 08:05

Like Jim C I switched off during the Reliant segment.

Chris Evans tried too hard and Matt Le Blanc isn't a presenter.

I'll stick with the old TG team on Amazon.
Posted By: neil_r

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 08:23

New start - But we have to accept that TG is a world brand and to change both the presenters and the show may not go down well with the broadcasting organisations buying the product. I expect we have to give it time to stabilise and then see if it gets better. The initial brief may have been not to change the basic style.

Re the shouting, last night I watched the other part, Reverse Gear or Missed Gear or whatever it was called and Rory Reid was shouting just like Ginger Rodgers was the night before. Chris Harris wasn't and he was hard to hear. To me there seems to be something odd about the acoustics that the sound people don't seem to have overcome very well.

All in all, about the same relatively average standard as the last TG but better than the worst of the last series - remember that pathetic Peugeot sketch. Now that really was embarassing.

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 08:24

Originally Posted By: bezzer
Like Jim C I switched off during the Reliant segment.

Chris Evans tried too hard and Matt Le Blanc isn't a presenter.

I'll stick with the old TG team on Amazon.
...........summed it up perfectly, a presenter he is not.

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 09:11

Originally Posted By: neil_r
Re the shouting, last night I watched the other part, Reverse Gear or Missed Gear or whatever it was called and Rory Reid was shouting just like Ginger Rodgers was the night before. Chris Harris wasn't and he was hard to hear. To me there seems to be something odd about the acoustics that the sound people don't seem to have overcome very well.

Yes I thought the studio sound was off too. Seemed fine on all the recorded stuff but was poorly mic'd on the "live" stuff.

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 14:05

I don't usually express an opinion on this sort of thing, but I'm watching it on iPlayer now.

I think it is inevitable that people will be comparing it with the previous version, and if you do that you are going to give it the thumbs-down. But these people are under no brief or obligation to emulate what went before, and seen in its own right it seems OK to me.

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 16:11

If Evans had done it in a tfi style, or like he presents on radio I'd have been far more comfortable with it.
Trying too hard and also trying to emulate former 'glory' with a new team is a mistake.
I hope it evolves and improves as they make it their own.

I got bored of the word 'solid' on extra gear too, it felt a bit too gangsta for me.....
Posted By: wink

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 20:42

Agreed about the audio - sounded like it was in a giant bathroom and the presenters were having to shout, didn't sound close-miked. But I think the other criticisms are a bit harsh - if you really don't like Chris Evans you're not going to be converted. I thought he was OK, I enjoyed his genuine enthusiasm. Matt LeBlanc was good, I thought the whole UK vs US joke was fun too so willing to give it a bit more time.

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 20:56

Is that really you Theresa? laugh

Afraid so laugh

It's about 15/20 years since that photo was taken shocked I'm even fatter and uglier now and Clarkson doesn't have much of that hair left neither laugh

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 21:17

Theresa, you sound a fun girl to me & obviously reading past the jokes & japes you are well respected on here. Hope you get things sorted out wheels wise by the way. smile

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 21:33

Thanks Jim cool
Posted By: Azzura

Re: new top gear - 31/05/2016 23:13

Originally Posted By: TbirdX
TV presenting doesn't get shoutier than this.

Could've got Greg Wallance to do it huh.

Hopefully it'll settle into it's own style but please stop trying to be the old top gear.

AND STOP SHOUTING ALL THE BLOODY TIME.

p.s. not sure if I mentioned all the shouting.

Did you never actually watch Clarkson? Shouting was about his only talent. They made repeated jokes about him shouting.

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 06:49

Did you never actually watch Clarkson? Shouting was about his only talent. They made repeated jokes about him shouting. [/quote]

Clarkson has gone, a time in the past. Let's just see how Evans gets on in the future eh?...... wink

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 07:56

Clarkson has gone, a time in the past. Let's just see how Evans gets on in the future eh?...... wink

+1
Posted By: Nigel

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 08:35

I used to listen to Sir Terry on Radio 2 during my morning commute. I considered it utter sacrilege when they gave Chris Evans the coveted morning slot.

However, he's made it his own, with his own style. He's also attracted a new band of followers that almost certainly wouldn't have listened to Wogan.

I thought that the first new TG was a bit forced - trying too hard to be a bit like the old series. When Chris is himself, rather than his shouty on-screen persona, I find him (mostly) personable and knowledgable - perhaps he needs to let this come out a bit more. He is a proper petrolhead, with far more knowledge than Clarkson - I think he should make more of this.

Matt isn't a presenter, but he has a good delivery - he's clearly used to comedy deliveries.... TBH, the last bunch weren't very good presenters initially - they grew into their respective TG roles.

Sabine needs to be allowed to have more fun - she was genuine, open and quite funny (in a German sort of way) in the Nurburgring Jag / van episodes - Sunday's brief Corvette drive didn't give us much of the real Sabine

I hope the entire series isn't already recorded, as I think a few tweaks need to be made.

Bits to drop? I didn't like the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, although that's probably because I'm not hugely keen on Gordon Ramsay and I didn't have a clue who the other guy was. Kitting out the Viper and Corvette with "laser guns" was just silly - a "Stig v Sabine" race would have been simpler, less gimmicky and just as entertaining.

I was hoping to see Monkey Harris in a front-man presenting role - I hope he isn't confined to a supporting job - his delivery can be a bit dry and matter-of-fact, but he's probably the most knowledgeable person on the team and will keep the attention of the true petrolhead viewer (just need to be careful not to lose the interest of the 'ordinary' viewer who just wants to be entertained - something the old crew were masters at)

Summary - not nearly as bad as it could have been - some promising aspects, a few tweaks needed, shows promise.

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 12:59

Quite agree with you Nigel. Didn't see the point in the reliant road trip and initially Evans seems to be trying too hard to be like Clarkson.

I'm still going watch it, just hope they have a bit more Harris and Sabine on it. I don't love TG enough to get Amazon though.

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 16:04

Actually having read what some have said, I also agree that Evans should have been left to put his own stamp/own format on the show. I suspect & have read that the Beeb wanted to keep a big say in things, they obviously think that this will also be a success world wide by the petrol heads.

Evans doesn't really irritate me either, LeBlanc on the other hand just doesn't do it for me at all, but as said on another thread, you can't pick & choose who irritates you the most. Again an echo, early days, but it's all been filmed hasn't it? At the end of the day it's only television, but it would've been nice for me & the wife to settle down on a Sunday night & have a giggle at the shenanigans....... driving

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 18:31

If I were playing at being a cynic, I might be looking at the multi-national presenters and the obvious efforts not to mess with a winning formula that, incidentally, sold handsomely all around the world (Germany and America, for instance; oh, and they do get it in France, by the way) and thinking "Hmmm, was it Chris Evans or the accountants that put this show together...?"
Maybe it will evolve into something decent, but at the moment, I find it unwatchable.
Posted By: Roadking

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 18:41

I can't get past Evans. Quite the most irritating cloud9 on the radio or TV. Apart from Graham Norton, Alan Carr or Keith Lemon.. I am on Prime and that has absolutely nothing to do with TG.

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 18:56

Must admit, I wonder how people get these media jobs. How could Chris Evans possibly be a popular character? I don't know. It's unfathomable.

Re: new top gear - 01/06/2016 20:41

Indeed, there are more than a few people on the box that just irritates the hell out of me. I even laugh at myself at times as a grumpy git even the way some speak, too breathy,croaky or whispery. The one that really gets me going, what I refer to is the hissing woman syndrome, over sounding the letter S at the last of a word & lands up sounding like a hiss. Slightly off topic. I will stop now.
Posted By: bezzer

Re: new top gear - 02/06/2016 07:43

Originally Posted By: Roadking
I can't get past Evans. Quite the most irritating cloud9 on the radio or TV. Apart from Graham Norton, Alan Carr or Keith Lemon.. I am on Prime and that has absolutely nothing to do with TG.

+1 yes

Re: new top gear - 02/06/2016 08:40

I just watched it again, still shite laugh I can watch old TG re-runs till the cows come home

Re: new top gear - 02/06/2016 08:56

Originally Posted By: patch234
I just watched it again, still shite laugh I can watch old TG re-runs till the cows come home
..............and me !

Re: new top gear - 05/06/2016 21:03

Was it just me or was the 2nd show hugely better than the 1st?

Re: new top gear - 05/06/2016 21:05

Nope, it was far better than last week. I actually liked matt, Chris and Eddie.

Re: new top gear - 05/06/2016 21:12

Wheeling Evans in a hospital trolley was a master-stroke! Stopping him from repeating the embarrassing shouting entrance of last week.
Still some way to go, but definitely 100% better.

Re: new top gear - 05/06/2016 21:13

Yes - definitely better. JB was great too.

The "comparing Stars' cars" thing is very lame though.

Re: new top gear - 05/06/2016 21:19

Agree about the stars cars bit - needs a re-think.
Good to see JB letting loose in the McLaren........whatever would Ron Dennis say!

Re: new top gear - 05/06/2016 21:30

Significantly better than episode 1 - if they can keep up the good bits and work on the not-so-good bits, we may learn to like it. Jeremy who?.....

I'm warming to Matt's delivery - with practice, he's going to be very good. He is certainly doing better than Chris at the moment and I think he had a greater share of tonight's programme

Re: new top gear - 05/06/2016 21:42

I'd agree - even Mrs Barnacle agrees (she was in hysterics over Matt's wet balls) - that this was far better than the first one.

Maybe it finds its way - if it loses the car comparison claptrap.

Re: new top gear - 05/06/2016 23:24

Tonight just looked like a blast from the past with different faces.

I liked Seasick Steve, squealing like a girl. smile

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 06:41

Bugger! Looks like I might have to watch it!

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 07:51

I enjoyed it too. I always fast forward the celebrity chat bit - was never my cup of tea anyway.

That 675LT looks rapid! Seems like Matts pretty handy behind the wheel.

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 08:20

Originally Posted By: Nobby
Seems like Matts pretty handy behind the wheel.

He did a very good lap in the reasonably priced car when he was a guest.

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 08:56

Bringing in guest co-drivers and allowing them to really be a part of the programme added a really fresh dimension.

The chat bit seems to have a secondary role of trying to let the studio audience actively participate. They have been rather bored sounding so far though!
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 09:23

The first was hugely disappointing but the second seems to have found its feet a bit. I am a little disappointed that the show format appears to be trying to follow in the footsteps of the old show, which I had really fallen out with but which I have to accept sold well.

In the segment where Mr Jordan damaged the Mercedes it was interesting to watch reactions. Matt and Chris seemed genuinely shocked and miffed about it. I suspect the old TG crew would have just rolled about laughing and then probably tried to go one better and crash the Porsche - "Oh look, a TREE!" followed up with some witty banter, perhaps Clarkson eating a packet of crisps and relating to other Porsche accidents?

Yes it really had got that bad frown

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 15:58

The guest chat bit has to stop. It's almost as though they are trying to go the route of Parkinson style chat shows where all the guests are on at once and have a great time. The only trouble is the guests aren't interesting enough and Evans only seems to ever have the same two questions to ask everyone.

Also, it would have been nice to have actually learned a little bit about the SUVs. I expect that there are plenty of people watching who might be in the market for one of them but all we learned was that the Merc had the smallest engine and Jordan didn't know how to turn on off road mode.

I appreciate that actually reviewing cars isn't exactly in the spirit of Top Gear, but still.

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 16:25

Originally Posted By: ali_hire

Also, it would have been nice to have actually learned a little bit about the SUVs. I expect that there are plenty of people watching who might be in the market for one of them but all we learned was that the Merc had the smallest engine and Jordan didn't know how to turn on off road mode.

I appreciate that actually reviewing cars isn't exactly in the spirit of Top Gear, but still.

It is unusual to hear of anything other than a LR, Jeep or Hummer, as being any good "off-road"?
Visually, we did learn though that the Jag is quite a big bit of kit, compared to the Porsche and Merc?!?!

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 16:27

This is the same format with different faces. I'm not saying it's pants, but for me anyway it's going to take a while before they really gel together.

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 19:21

This is the same format with different faces. I'm not saying it's pants, but for me anyway it's going to take a while before they really gel together.

Its seems to me they will damned what ever. Change the format too much and it might not sell and people complain about the fact they have changed too much. Don't change enough and they are copying the old Top Gear.

I think episode 2 was a good effort. Entertaining, enough "staged" tension without going over the top or pointlessly jokes for the sake of them and a better mix or personalities and just a little less shouty.

I will continue to watch and if it keeps improving it will sone be vastly better than old top gear had become.

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 19:41

Originally Posted By: Hyperlink

Its seems to me they will damned what ever. Change the format too much and it might not sell and people complain about the fact they have changed too much. Don't change enough and they are copying the old Top Gear.

I think episode 2 was a good effort. Entertaining, enough "staged" tension without going over the top or pointlessly jokes for the sake of them and a better mix or personalities and just a little less shouty.

I will continue to watch and if it keeps improving it will sone be vastly better than old top gear had become.

Aye, but it was just too samey. The Beeb have obviously stuck to the original storyline, milking it as the proverbial cow, they think it is. Seriously that jaunt with the SUV's was deja vu . Clarkson & co are gone, but this agenda, so far anyway just keeps reminding of the past.

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 19:59

as I said damned whatever the do.

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 20:15

Samey, it always was. Just the bangers and the location changed. At least now they can't willfully destroy their test cars.

I expected that this thread would quieten down as people who did not want to watch anymore would not, but I guess those will continue to watch it and then moan laugh

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 20:45

so that will be samey too then....and the world keeps turning.

Re: new top gear - 06/06/2016 20:46

Originally Posted By: neil_r
Samey, it always was. Just the bangers and the location changed. At least now they can't willfully destroy their test cars.

I expected that this thread would quieten down as people who did not want to watch anymore would not, but I guess those will continue to watch it and then moan laugh

That's the problem with forums, they don't show your real feelings unless you really say. I'm actually quite laid back about this laugh Yes really, I don't see myself as moaning either laugh If I'm honest, I feel the need, like others, probably to state the obvious at times laugh I actually think that the forum at times is a victim of it's own success, forum members exchanging the craic.. wink

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 13:09

Anyone else watch last night? Less Evans, more sideways action. Liked it.

The Hoonigan mustang and the F12tdf sound utterly epic.

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 13:17

Nope, first one did the trick. Really not proud of myself for giving up on it so quickly but I have completely lost interest.

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 13:32

Yes watched it. Was good. Sabine and Chris H presenting/having more of a role. not sure about the RS reviewer though - he seemed geniune but lacked something. Even the stars guest slot seemed to work better. you can see they are still finding their feet but that was always going to be the case

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 13:56

I need to know what the red button was for... laugh

Aye, have to admit that was funny & entertaining in the Mustang.. driving

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 14:29

I need to know what the red button was for... laugh

Aye, have to admit that was funny & entertaining in the Mustang.. driving

might be related to his trick handbrake setup with an extra clutch.

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 14:45

I thought the RS review was good. And the guy came to the same conclusion about the A45 as I did: immensely capable but somehow boring - maybe because it needs absolutely no skill to make it go stupidly fast. Where's the fun in that?

I watched on iplayer which meant I could entirely skip the stars bit

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 16:24

Caught the Hoonigan bit, which was OK. Then watched last week's epsiode in the interest of giving it a fair hearing.

Still disappointed. I like Damien Lewis, but the whole thing looked a lot like Chris Evans & Friends.

Won't watch again.

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 18:12

Chris Harris was great in the Ferrari, mlb is growing on me.
I also liked sabines bit.

So to sum up.

Get someone in a car who can drive properly, appreciates cars and has a personality.

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 18:35

I've seen a bit of Chris Harris on u tube previously and really like the way he comes across - he can certainly drive!
The Focus RS reviewer did a u tube test drive of my X1 Xdrive (last of the previous model) which I watched before I went ahead with buying it.
His views where pretty much spot on - its a much better car than most have given it credit for and I have enjoyed the last 12 months with it.
Given more scope, I think both he and Chris Harris will grow on the public.
Posted By: JKD

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 18:55

Wasn't the Clarkson, Hammond and May format Top Gear crap when it first started as well? And then it developed into the widely loved show that we all knew.
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 19:04

No-ones mentioned the new R8 yet - and that about sums it up.
Fast and very capable but it has the same problem as Muzzies Jag - just where do you appreciate it's abilities away from a track?
That and that fact that the front looks too much like a humdrum TT but costs four times the price means I won't be selling my Kangoo to buy one tongue .
Unless I was a track owner or needed to drive to the South of France occasionally I'd buy a Caterham instead for my driving kicks on public roads.

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 21:29

Chris Harris was great in the Ferrari

Not the new one - the original TDF 250 - that car was just gorgeous.

Top Gear is much better when Evans has his mouth closed.

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 23:29

I'll be totally honest.... if anyone cares.

After the first episode I was unimpressed, but the subsequent offerings have been better.

The one thing I've noticed is that this new format is more about CARS than "adventures," although there is still some swashbuckling to be had. This is a good thing.

There are a few too many presenters for my liking - even 2 racing drivers (do we need 2 Stigs?) But, overall there are some seriously GREAT cars being driven by enthusiastic people.

And even better, they made Chris Evans chunder.

What's not to like?

Re: new top gear - 13/06/2016 23:30

Originally Posted By: barnacle

Top Gear is much better when Evans has his mouth closed.

Unless it's chundering.... laugh

Re: new top gear - 14/06/2016 07:04

The new line up is trying to cater (and attract) for a much wider audience, I think.

Evans is your love-him-or-loathe him big character to fill JC's shoes. Le Blanc is the recognisable face that the rest of the world will buy into. Chris Harris seems to be a knowledgeable and talented car enthusiast who can perhaps give a more serious insight than just screaming POWER will going sideways. Sabine breaks up the all male cast and die hard fans will recognise her from Top Gear of old. Rory Reid will appeal to the younger generation - talks a bit 'London', lots of YouTube followers, etc.

Lots of diversity boxes ticked and hopefully something for everyone.

What I think the BBC has done is quite clever. The old trio were almost irreplaceable and they had a tough time filling the void.

I don't think anyone will kick up as much of a fuss if the one of the new line up is replaced/leaves. Sure, you'll get fewer die hard fans this way, but you might end up with a wider casual audience.

The one thing I will say is that the three newbies (Sabine, Harris and Reid) are fine in the recorded sections, but they are not live presenters. The post-VT chat with Le Blanc was just terrible.

Re: new top gear - 14/06/2016 07:24

I'm afraid Smitchz really irritates me the most. She may be able to drive a car better than a lot of her Male colleagues round a track, but the squealing, & over the top facial expressions leering into the camera....... crazy By the way I'm not angry, just disappointed.... tongue

Re: new top gear - 14/06/2016 11:04

Originally Posted By: barnacle
Chris Harris was great in the Ferrari

Not the new one - the original TDF 250 - that car was just gorgeous.

Sorry should have qualified which Ferrari.... Yes the tdf originalie, 5 mill motor and he's sliding it. Brilliant.

Re: new top gear - 14/06/2016 14:20

It's funny - I don't warm to Chris Harris - each to his own.

Re: new top gear - 04/07/2016 15:22

Looks like Evans has packed it in.....................

Re: new top gear - 04/07/2016 15:47

Aye, saw that Evans quit. Not really surprised as the ratings for the show seemingly have been plummeting. He'll do all right though on his radio show.

The hard core fans of Top Gear are not impressed, & lets face it viewer numbers matter.

Re: new top gear - 04/07/2016 15:50

jordan and sabine were awful presenters, not impressed with matt either. Thought Chris got better as the series progressed, but average guests and the content of the shows was not good enough.

Re: new top gear - 04/07/2016 16:03

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we eventually witness the demise of the show. The BBC obviously are still throwing a fair chunk of cash at the running of TG & are looking for a return.

Re: new top gear - 04/07/2016 22:26

1st series was a test bed, so I'm hopeful that they'll clear out a couple more presenters and work to their strengths.

There are too many racing drivers and Eddy J is soooo wooden. Sabine I think has potential, and Le Blanc seems to be winning support.

Looking forward to series 2.

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 06:29

Glad Evans is on the way out. He can take Sabine with him also.
I can't understand a word she says.

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 06:42

To be fair to the show, it has been fighting for viewers with the football/F1 and there must be a significant overlap in the audiences. But I'm glad Evans is going. Being the first presenter after Clarkson was always going to be a poisoned chalice.

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 06:56

Originally Posted By: magooagain
Glad Evans is on the way out. He can take Sabine with him also.
I can't understand a word she says.

Aye Joe, I certainly don't hate the woman, but I just find her soooo annoying.

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 07:18

To be fair to the show, it has been fighting for viewers with the football/F1 and there must be a significant overlap in the audiences. But I'm glad Evans is going. Being the first presenter after Clarkson was always going to be a poisoned chalice.

Fair point, as is the fact that these guys really don't make the show that interesting ... reason being; it's success and viewer pull is largely due to the interactions and personalities presenting it. They got it wrong!

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 07:57

Just to add a bit more controversy, Evens is being investigated about an alleged sexual assault from the 90's. To be fair, you can just never know if this is fact or fake, but allegations like these are never good for a career like Evans.

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 08:02

I don't mind Evans. I like his radio show but this was mediocre. As MRS says, though, it's an impossible act to follow.

Sabine and Jordan are adding nothing for me. She has talent behind the wheel but I'm sure plenty of other less wooden people do as well.

I wouldn't mind at all of they kept Le Blanc, Harris and Reid and tried that going forward. My guess is that they'll replace Evans as they'll feel the need for a recognisable British frontman.

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 08:22

Originally Posted By: patch234

Fair point, as is the fact that these guys really don't make the show that interesting ... reason being; it's success and viewer pull is largely due to the interactions and personalities presenting it. They got it wrong!
................spot on .
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 11:45

I thought Le Blanc was quite good, especially the last 2 episodes but he didn't like Evans so the chemistry was always going to be all wrong.

They need to find someone who can drive, is good on camera and can have a bit of banter with Le blanc. Chris Harris anyone?

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 12:00

Cant stand Reid. The dullest of dull reviewers, he needs to go back to YouTube.
Eddie, no not good but did well on the challenge. Sabine, difficult one, she's there as the token female. I like her maybe without Evans she can step up??

Leblanc has good delivery and if he writes his own stuff or has input he has gone well up in my estimation.

Harris is a brilliant car reviewer, but then I said that from the beginning!

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 12:30

It's funny - I don't especially like Harris - seems arrogant

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 12:40

i'd get rid of the lot of them and start again

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 16:59

Martin Brundle would be my choice to take over from Chris.

He was good as an F1 presenter when the beeb had the F1. He managed to get some great interviews on the grid before the start of the race managing to push his way in front of other presenters from other channels, and a brilliant driver too.

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 17:31

Martin B now works for Sky on F1. He's still excellent - whether he fits the "clowning around" mould, I'm not sure. The three ex-F1 drivers from that era (Hill, Brundle and Herbert) on Sky have great chemistry and it's funny when they compete as they have done in dune buggies and lawn mowers: they're clearly having genuine fun.

I'm hoping Button ends up on TG

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 18:19

Button is a good shout but unless hes not driving i doubt the shedules would be compatible.

Steve Coogan would be good. Personality/charisma yet unassuming enough to not outshine guests plus hes actually funny/witty compared with Clarkson et al.
Posted By: cyborg7

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 20:50

James Martin really wanted it last time, but the beeb weren't prepared to release him for it. And word has it that was the reason he resigned from his Saturday Morning Breakfast show.

Although I'm not overly keen, I have to grudgingly admit that the multiple stand-ins / replacements that have been on since, show that there's a lot more to this presenting lark than I gave him credit for. He kind of made it look effortless whereas the presenters on now just make it look painful. Dare I say a bit like Chris Evans did too - big shame as I really wanted him to succeed, but trying too hard just fell flat.

Re: new top gear - 05/07/2016 22:13

I'd take Coogan* over Martin.

James Martin went down in my estimation after the show he did about the Mille Miglia. But I've no doubt he's a good presenter (never watched Saturday Kitchen) and maybe he's the right fit for Top Gear.

*Assuming he presented every show in character as Alan Partridge, obviously.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 06:46

Given his complete lack of any mechanical sympathy in the MM show, he's an obvious choice for TG...

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 10:51

James Martin Mr Asda.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 10:59

Just can't stand James Martin. It was that same MM program where he behaved like a tool which put me off him. He just seems too smug to me.

Coogan would be ok in a weird sort of comedy way. As would Rob Brydon ! Perhaps they could team up?

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 11:15

Aye he's a bit of a knob by all accounts. Regarded by some as an over paid cook. I've never met the man, but he does come across as smarmy & quite arrogant, not irritating, but there's something about his patter I find a switch off.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 11:22

When he comes on the radio for those Asda adverts I have to switch off, he is that irritating, would be even worse if I had to watch him on the TV. Not too keen on Coogan either, how about Mr Bean?
Posted By: Wishy

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 11:29

Originally Posted By: DaveG
how about Mr Bean?

Now there's an interesting thought for a change in direction, I take it you mean in character for full episodes? laugh

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 11:34

If Martin gets the job , i will never watch it again....that bloody accent of his does my head in !

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 11:35

He'd be better as Elizabethan Blackadder !

How would he fit his ruff into a sports car though...

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 11:48

I was thinking if there's 6 episodes he could do one in each Blackadder character, one Mr bean and one Not the nine o'clock news. Not sure what he'd be like presenting as himself though.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 12:19

Originally Posted By: Wishy
Originally Posted By: DaveG
how about Mr Bean?

Now there's an interesting thought for a change in direction, I take it you mean in character for full episodes? laugh

I actually meant as himself but couldn't remember his name rolleyes I'm not a great Blackadder fan unfortunately. Rowan Atkinson is a bit of a car enthusiast...

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 12:50

Yes I know he's a petrolhead, Maclaren F1 challenge anyone?

I'm not sure about him presenting though. I could be wrong but I've always had the impression that he's most comfortable hiding behind his characters.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 14:59

Yes - he's hideously shy
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 15:56

Aye he's a bit of a knob by all accounts. Regarded by some as an over paid cook. I've never met the man, but he does come across as smarmy & quite arrogant, not irritating, but there's something about his patter I find a switch off.

See the programme where James Martin drove in the Mille Miglia (a few years back, not the recent one). It was a real stinker of a programme and he came across as total knob jockey with zero personality).

I would llove Johnny Vaughen to have a part, he is great on radio x, the programme needs someone who can provide the banter that the previous crew had that the current series lacks, get rid of the z-list star in a car. (I like Chris Harris, but only in small doses). Chris Evans is dire.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 17:13

Originally Posted By: sugerbear

See the programme where James Martin drove in the Mille Miglia (a few years back, not the recent one). It was a real stinker of a programme and he came across as total knob jockey with zero personality).

I would llove Johnny Vaughen to have a part, he is great on radio x, the programme needs someone who can provide the banter that the previous crew had that the current series lacks, get rid of the z-list star in a car. (I like Chris Harris, but only in small doses). Chris Evans is dire.

I missed that.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 18:28

From what I remember, he bought an ancient Maserati for several hundred thousand pounds, had his mechanic rebuild the engine who advised running it in for a period, ignored the advice and then gave his mechanic a bollocking when it inevitably broke down.

Idiot.
Posted By: cyborg7

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 20:44

have to agree - arrogant, overbearing, smug, complete lack of any mechanical sympathy. And from Yorkshire. We could be talking about Clarkson so a perfect fit then?

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 20:55

Thing is Clarkson could always laugh at himself... laugh

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 21:58

When scripted by him.....he didn't look so impressed when other rip the piss out of him on have I got news for you etc. He also had no come backs.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 22:01

Different program wink

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 22:02

Originally Posted By: cyborg7
have to agree - arrogant, overbearing, smug, complete lack of any mechanical sympathy. And from Yorkshire. We could be talking about Clarkson so a perfect fit then?

Quite. I think a lot of people have rose tinted glasses on in relation to how old top gear was both at the start and where it ended up.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 22:13

Different program wink

oh was it, thanks for pointing that out. smile

so is Friends, Alan Partridge , Blackadder, Saturday Kitchen, the Mille Miglia docu, and everything else every other presenter has done.....

....my point being Clarkson is great when he has full control and is out of depth pretty much everywhere else so perhaps lets not put him on a pedestal or judge others than haven't even had a chance beforehand.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 22:21

What's this...points makes prizes..... laugh

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 22:24

Different show.

Not sure Brucie would be up for it either.

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 22:36

Originally Posted By: Hyperlink
Different program wink

oh was it, thanks for pointing that out. smile

so is Friends, Alan Partridge , Blackadder, Saturday Kitchen, the Mille Miglia docu, and everything else every other presenter has done.....

....my point being Clarkson is great when he has full control and is out of depth pretty much everywhere else so perhaps lets not put him on a pedestal or judge others than haven't even had a chance beforehand.

How many different shows do you need..... laugh

Re: new top gear - 06/07/2016 22:45

I don't NEED any of them.

Re: new top gear - 07/07/2016 03:07

My hook,line,sinker & my rod have gone... laugh
My remarks are very firmly placed in my cheek & aimed at the humorous end of the scale... hehe

Incidentally, "points make prizes" was never a show, it was one of Brucie's many,many catch phrases.... laugh

Re: new top gear - 07/07/2016 09:29

Oh you got me. You got me good!

P.S. Anyone want to buy a fishing rod?

Re: new top gear - 07/07/2016 09:53

Hey I get where you're coming from, we are all basically singing from the same hymn sheet but it's whoever irritates you the most or style that just does your head in. I'm glad we are all different, in my book having an opinion is essential, it's the don't knows or the silent ones who lurk round the perimeter & say nothing are the ones to watch.

Re: new top gear - 07/07/2016 10:18

Thats the thing. At the end the old lot were as annoying to me as the new ones. Same jokes repeatly trotted out. Nothing much had changed and it was starting to become a caricature of itself.

Not that the new programme is perfect either. The rally cross thing doesn't work for me and the guests have been variable. It seems they tried to change things for the sake of making it appear different yet its not AND now it doesn't work.

I don't know what the answer is ( there probably isnt one) but prejudging everything is the downfall of TG as much ans anything else.

Re: new top gear - 07/07/2016 10:49

Bottom line as I said in an earlier thread, the old Top Gear is dead.The little lady & I as a pair of oldies would watch together.This worked for others in similar circumstances & it worked world wide. These threads become a bit repetitive & go round & round.

Life will still tick over & the Beeb will still try & squeeze out as much money from once was cash cows the likes of this.

Re: new top gear - 20/07/2016 14:17

Chef, Paul Hollywood (recently a guest on TG), I think would be a good presenter.

He seems to know his car stuff and a pretty good driver smile

Re: new top gear - 20/07/2016 18:23

Originally Posted By: Jonscoupe
Chef, Paul Hollywood (recently a guest on TG), I think would be a good presenter.

He seems to know his car stuff and a pretty good driver smile

He did a documentary about Aston Martin, in which I thought he came over as a bit of a c0ck. It turned into "me and my Aston-loving mates".
He's fairly inoffensive otherwise, I suppose.

Re: new top gear - 20/07/2016 22:50

I'd vote for the hairy bikers.

If they liked cars.

Re: new top gear - 21/07/2016 06:32

"So, Si, would you buy one?"
"Not sure, Dave. I'll make a Yorkshire Pudding while I think about it..."

Re: new top gear - 04/03/2017 20:14

Another new series starts tomorrow night smile , Sunday BBC2 8pm. Crept up on me from nowhere - note to self - watch more tv.

The line up is Matt le Bonc, Chris Arris and Rory Reid.

Ferrari FXXK features, then there's a three car race across Kazakhstan in high mileage cars.

Super job rotate rotate rotate
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: new top gear - 05/03/2017 20:35

Well that was ok. On a par with the last 3 series with Clarkson et al. Not that it was a particularly high bar.....

Re: new top gear - 05/03/2017 20:43

Absolute rubbish . Can blame Chris Evens anymore

Re: new top gear - 05/03/2017 21:17

Absolutely ZERO chemistry between the presenters. Lame, lame, lame. The only good things were the cars.....

Lets hope for some improvement.

Anyone else start looking for a Volvo V70 after that? I assumed by the sound of it that it was the 5 cylinder unit.

I'll probably still watch it next week though. Glutton for punishment.

Re: new top gear - 05/03/2017 21:43

It's a car program, so I like it.
I think the presenters were allowed to be themselves tonight rather than upstage the Evans in the last series.
The gogglebox is a better place for the show.
And a gt86 for the stars to hoon in? Good idea.
Posted By: rayzer82

Re: new top gear - 05/03/2017 23:04

It just feels so contrived...you know when you are at school and you and your mates have to do a show in drama....that was how they looked...but worse

Re: new top gear - 05/03/2017 23:07

I liked it. Back to the basics to then build it into the show it should be. Not trying to be different for the sake of it but also not a direct copy.

I would watch that again but I can't say the same for any of the last series of grand tour. Once was definitely enough for that thank you.

Glad they got rid of the rally cross circuit and are back with the proper track. The gt86 is a great shout for the car.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: new top gear - 06/03/2017 09:05

Its interesting to see such different opinions, chemistry is something that has to be developed over time I think its a solid start and over all I found this far more entertaining than any GT and far far better than the last two seasons of TG.

There were some funny moments, great cars and it felt very much like they were trying to make it there own rather than carry on, or upscale. I still dislike the star in a car segment, but I always have.

Overall, loved it, and It actually puts a real downer on the GT for me, the GT is TG taken far to far.

Re: new top gear - 06/03/2017 19:21

I didn't totally hate the last TG but it did have some really terrible moments, especially the presenters trying too hard to be funny and failing terribly. But I then saw the grand tour and that element was painfully pushed beyond all previous limits. It was truly horrible to watch! Clearly money does not buy quality or good ideas.

So bring on the new series of top gear. Much improved and totally watchable. Humour seemed far more spontaneous and honest, and far less scripted than the last TG and especially the GT.

Much improved but could do better would be my assessment.

Re: new top gear - 06/03/2017 19:48

Crikey. I hadn't realised that the GT was so bad. I'll hold off getting Amazon Prime then !!

I'm hopeful for TG to improve. Bring it on.
Posted By: Lucifer

Re: new top gear - 07/03/2017 12:12

I thought Grand Tour was OK, with the exception of the American (who I could quite easily shoot.. think they missed the mark big time with that one) and also the recycled dead celebrity joke every week. Anyone who liked the banter side of Clarkson/Hammond/May era TG will like it.

Latest episode of Top Gear I thought was an improvement over the Chris Evans series, but the presenters really just do not work well together. I think Chris Harris is great but could quite easily lose the other two.

As said though.. it's about cars, so I enjoyed it.

Re: new top gear - 07/03/2017 12:56

Ach these shows are what they are, I keep saying this, & we keep going round in circles rotate Fine if you like, & fine if you don't like. tongue

Re: new top gear - 08/03/2017 07:28

Less people watched the show than when Chris Evans was the main presenter .http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/top-gear-2017-ratings-episode-1-matt-leblanc_uk_58bd372ee4b0b99894188577

Re: new top gear - 08/03/2017 08:46

To be honest, its not a surprise it was watched less, that has nothing to do with the quality it is now, more a case of how it was trashed by the last season. Its going to take time to recover.

Re: new top gear - 08/03/2017 08:56

I didn't even know it had started until I started to see stuff about Harris being "hated"

Re: new top gear - 08/03/2017 10:07

I don't get the hate for CH, my brother doesn't like him, I think he is great and probably the only one that can actually drive

Re: new top gear - 08/03/2017 10:18

Originally Posted By samsite999
To be honest, its not a surprise it was watched less, that has nothing to do with the quality it is now, more a case of how it was trashed by the last season. Its going to take time to recover.

This. The previous line up had a hell of lot more PR beforehand as well.

Take a look at the viewing figures for old TG. Back in 2002 they were at 3 million viewers and it took many years to build up to there 4-5 million figures. Even then they seemed to get stuck until 2007 when they spiked following Hammonds dragster crash.

Re: new top gear - 19/03/2017 19:23

Just watched ten minutes of it.Cringe worthy and embarrassing to watch.
Changed Chanel.

Re: new top gear - 19/03/2017 20:06

Fiat 124 (Abarth version) got slated. They should have tested the standard 124 IMO.

Still cringeworthy watching, though the Sabine Nurburgring feature was pretty good.
Posted By: Trappy

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 12:21

I watched the Quadrifoglio segment the other day but that was it. I couldn't stand any more than that. Even Monkey Harris wasn't himself frown

It's bloody awful rofl

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 12:24

Originally Posted By magooagain
Cringe worthy and embarrassing to watch.

Sounds just like grand tour tongue
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 12:54

left turn at hammer-head rofl

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 15:14

Originally Posted By Gripped
though the Sabine Nurburgring feature was pretty good.

Really? I thought the Golf Clubsport article was truly awful

"we've overtaken £1m worth of supercars on a hot hatch"

What utter drivel - yes, I can see a fast Golf with Sabine at the wheel getting past some junior supercars like a boggo Cayman, but when they drive round the outside of a 911 GT3 and then a Lambo - what utter bollocks. It was either staged (which I suspect) or the drivers were simply driving at 7/10 in order not to prang their expensive car.

I felt the Abarth 124 article was unfair - yes, its different to an MX5, but IMHO, it looks better, sounds better and on any tarmac outside of a race circuit, probably goes better too

I get the feeling that the three of them are starting to gel, which was one of the more amusing aspects of the old team

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 15:49

I think that they are trying to hard and that there is a bit more room for some of the design and tech of the cars. One of the guys I work with led the engineering team that developed the DB11 - there's lots of interesting stuff about that car. I'd liked to have heard a bit more about the S63 too.

Agree about the Ring bit but I'm soooo bored of the Ring.

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 16:16

Originally Posted By Nigel
though the Sabine Nurburgring feature was pretty good.

Really? I thought the Golf Clubsport article was truly awful

Not the car, but it was more the anticipation that Sabine might get behind the wheel, as at least she's got a bit of personality. As for the Golf she was driving, I think it's completely flawed. A Golf with no back seats? That's almost as bad as the Range Rover Evoque with no 4 wheel drive !

I still think they are finding their feet. The features are still too much like the old TG.

Agree that the Fiat 124 article was biased towards the MX-5. We had an MX-5 and I must admit I struggled to see what all the fuss was about.

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 16:17

Originally Posted By MeanRedSpider
but I'm soooo bored of the Ring.

So was J S Tolkien.

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 16:27

We had an MX-5 and I must admit I struggled to see what all the fuss was about.

I had a day at Blyton Park with the place all to myself and Mark Hales sat in the MX-5 beside me. I TOTALLY get why people like the MX-5. It cured me of wanting silly amounts of horsepower - it was so capable. Took my Abarth 595 Turismo there a few months later and the difference (for not a massive amount of cash difference) was huge - not least of all because the Abarth's "uprated" brakes were done in a lap.

Anyhow, I have lots and lots of respect for the Mazda.

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 16:29

Originally Posted By PeteP

So was J S Tolkien.

Dunno who he/she is - a relative of JRR?

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 17:55

Yep Richard, indeed he was. My maths teacher at school was a J S Tolkeyn. A senior moment.

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 18:33

Originally Posted By PeteP

So was J S Tolkien.

To be absolutely pedantic, I think you'll find it was the Harvard Lampoon...

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 19:03

Originally Posted By barnacle

To be absolutely pedantic, I think you'll find it was the Harvard Lampoon...

I think you'll find there's no other kind of pedantry.

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 19:07

Who is that guy that presents Extra Gear? He's terrible.

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 19:16

I had a day at Blyton Park with the place all to myself and Mark Hales sat in the MX-5 beside me. I TOTALLY get why people like the MX-5. It cured me of wanting silly amounts of horsepower - it was so capable.

Anyhow, I have lots and lots of respect for the Mazda.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Probably what we missed was a track day in ours. I'm sure it's abilities would have become clear then. It did have tons of grip, but I found it quite a dull experience as a road car. It was also rather jittery and uncomfortable on rough roads. And, it could have done with a better engine sound....

As a driver of an NA Coupe, I fully appreciate that you don't need lots of power to have fun.... wink
Posted By: jas_racing

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 19:47

The Uno turbo i.e. got a mention last night, the whole show is alright by me laugh

Re: new top gear - 20/03/2017 22:36

SLIGHLTY OFF TOPIC - More Fiat 124 related....

Mrs BB has a TT roadster and she's been looking for a replacement recently.

We re-visited the MX5, which she tested last year and the 124 spider. Last year she had registered for the 124 spider updates and yes the press pictures of the 124 looked fantastic. She did take out an MX5 but the Fiat had not been launched. In the end she chose a much older TT.

Clearly now that the Fiat is available she had to see one. The dealer we visited allowed us to park a NEW 124 alongside a used MX5 both in white. In the metal / plastic the Fiat is sadly far less attractive than those press pics. It is also considerably bigger (Overhangs) than the Mazda and kind of looks like it's on stilts.

I am sure that on the track the RWD Mazda based cars will be the most rewarding but on a damp road in early March it wasn't great - constant TC lamp frown Both these cars are also tiny too, no leg room for a six footer.

We then spent a week with a brand new Audi TT roadster, which she did consider. It was really good with the roof down. Sadly roof up the road noise was horrible also to get a good spec the price is silly.

So, she's gone for a 2014 Amplified black TT roadster quattro, which is a far better car than either the Fiat or Mazda, on the road, though not too much cheaper shocked

Re: new top gear - 21/03/2017 05:51

Regarding the 124, am I the only one who thinks that the headlights look odd, reminds me of bulging eyed frog. Not the end of the world but I don't think it's that good looking in the flesh.....Just my thoughts.

Re: new top gear - 21/03/2017 07:33

Originally Posted By Barmybob

I am sure that on the track the RWD Mazda based cars will be the most rewarding but on a damp road in early March it wasn't great - constant TC lamp frown Both these cars are also tiny too, no leg room for a six footer.

I think the thing about RWD is that comes with pros and cons as do all drive systems. What I love about it is that it is engaging and, far beyond the other systems, allows you to trim the attitude of the car in corners. It's is, though, far more challenging in the wet. Not everybody wants that.

I'm 6' and had absolutely no trouble with the size of the car.

Re: new top gear - 21/03/2017 13:17

The car was tight but would be fine for local runs. But as we plan to take our convertible down towards Italy and beyond there was no way we could live with one frown In the passenger seat there was no way I could straighten my legs.

Re: new top gear - 21/03/2017 14:00

Hairdresser in the city I know of, the last time I looked he was driving a Merc s class saloon. driving

Re: new top gear - 21/03/2017 17:17

There's a coupe-driving hairdresser in Hemel... (Hi Freddie :waves: )
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK