Fiat Coupe Club UK

advice wanted - seen a 20vt engine

Posted By: HD3Coupe

advice wanted - seen a 20vt engine - 14/06/2010 17:00

i have seen a 20vt engine & its out of the car , it has some s/history with it but i wanted to know is there any quick checks i could do to make sure its any good? the guy who has it said it was out of a rear ended car & ran well.

Re: advice wanted - seen a 20vt engine - 14/06/2010 18:40

zzz
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: advice wanted - seen a 20vt engine - 14/06/2010 20:21

ideally you want to hear the engine running, buying a second hand engine is a gamble really unless you have full documented history with it.

Visual checks and and possibly a compression test are all you can carry out with the engine out of the car. Check for oil leaks, missing sensors, condition of belts, pulleys, exhaust manifold etc etc etc.

I was recently in your position, and now have the 48k replacement engine fitted and running and im very happy with it. So many worries came to mind though, thats why most people goto Joe at country cruising, for engines and fitment etc, for that peace of mind.

You probably know all above as you've had coupes previously, but i hope info helps anyway, and good luck!

Rob.

Re: advice wanted - seen a 20vt engine - 14/06/2010 21:32

i have an excellent engine which you can literally do any check you wish... it is in the car so you can start it from cold and drive it untill it gets hot! the oil pressure is constant 3 bar, 2.5 at hot idle.. when you are happy its good we can whip it out and its yours..i can even arrange it to be delivered for the price of the fuel...does it get any better than that?

Re: advice wanted - seen a 20vt engine - 14/06/2010 23:37

pm'd you ktm..

The engine that im on about in the post would be free as he got paid out but i dont fancy fitting it to find out its no good - the guy is 100% there is nothing wrong with it but im thinking of the labor if there is.

Re: advice wanted - seen a 20vt engine - 16/06/2010 22:08

dude if the engine is free and it was running ok ...do you know what his oil pressure was at hot idle? how many miles had it done?..i would say this is your best bet free is always good! you are going to have to fit whatever motor you go with
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK