Fiat Coupe Club UK

Worthless?

Posted By: Anonymous

Worthless? - 22/03/2007 14:42

My coupe got rear ended by a polish artic at very low speeds, the passenger side light cluster area is dented in, the wing is also bent out slightly. The rear bumper is also damaged. I went via Elephant insurance people and they quoted £2k! Yet they didnt write it off.
I've got my own estimates for the work, £1200, and another at £600+ parts.

However... somone has done a hit & run at the front right side of the bonnet, fist size dent and in the centre it goes right down to the metal.

Is my coupe worthless considering the following...

Bad bits:

- manifold cracked (£200-400)
- clutch now slipping (£400)
- uses its fair share of oil
- alarm needs sorting (£160)
- rear shocks had it (£100+)
- need new front Mintex 1155 pads (£80ish)
- tan leather seats pretty poor condition
- a few rattles and wind noise from window seal
- altinator whines a bit (£50)
- wheels need refurb (£150)
- radiator on way out
- 2nd cambelt change due before long (£400)

good bits

- standard engine, never let me down
- FSH (fiat then PF), all paperwork & MOT's etc (annually without fail etc rather than on mileage)
- just passed MOT
- 2x recent eagle F1 tyres
- zender kit & le lips
- eibach springs
- drives fine

Whats it worth before and after the body fixes? £1300 without, £2200 with?

Is it worth getting the insurance co to write it off? I basically barely use the car, sometimes just 2 miles (yes two) a week. Its purely for weekend use, going shoping or out etc. Plus I have no spare cash to waste on it, I live on my own so money is fairly tight.

I plan to just keep it and run it keeping it well servied but leaving any jobs that arent essential. However its annoying as my last car was 100% mint and I like them that way. However I cannot afford/justify a buying a new used car.

Bit of an old pic but still nice looking car. click
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 16:52

Time to call Carlt maybe?

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 17:15

Time for a change maybe? Depends on how much you really like the car.

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 17:23

thats what I'm thinking, should I just run it until something major happens then 'carlt it'.

I cant afford to replace it really thats the problem, but then again I dont need a car really.

Its a nice car to look at from a distance when its cleaned up, and it still goes well and gets me about when required. Just dont want to throw money at it when its not worth it.
Thing is for £5k there is nothing I'd rather have than a coupe.
Posted By: Cappo

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 17:24

Join the queue behind me and get it some CarlT loving. I reckon mine's going to look utterly mint when I get it back. I think you'll find Carl does a very good job at very sensible prices......and he's an insurance-approved bodyshop so you are entitled to insist on it being done there at Elephant prices. Speak to Carl or PM me if you want more info.

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 17:31

Hmmmm, problem is he is so far away, 2.5 hours each way oh and he is SO booked up. Thing is even if the body is mint it will steve have all the issues and costs listed above. Even if it was mint if would be worth £3k max due to the mileage.

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 17:43

Shabba take a look at barnacle's. Not mint, but the kinda money charged doesnt cover that, but its superb for its age now.

Sounds like your in the same boat, front and reared.

What he had done wouldn't come to any more than your insurer would cough up, inc a full free repaint, all the cosmetics would get done, wheels included. Just leaving clutch and manifold.

Sod what its worth, whats it worth to you?

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 18:05

hmmm, I'll see what the insurers say, I think its going to take forever as its a polish guy that hit me. I want to go via the legal cover people rather than Elephant directly, and whatever happens I cant afford to loose my NCB (its protected though).

I might get back to you in the future and ask for a £1100 quote for 'fixing the rear end' which will then include any other work you can fit in for that price, if the insurance company are paying I might as well make the most of it. Cheapest quote I've given them is £1200. Just wondered if due to all the jobs it might be worth writing off then buying another coupe, so good examples for £2.5k now.

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 18:24

Nah you would just underprice there 2k quote, that pays for alot more then. ;\) Oh and no excess.
Posted By: sugerbear

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 19:18

Ignore them. Its worthless.

How much for the springs and tyres ?

\:\)

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 19:25

Go on, get it fixed. Once Carl's worked his magic and you've spent yr excess on a clutch, who knows, you might just want to use it more often than you do now.
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 19:27

I would fix it to be honest mate trust carl and go with him, you will get the car back and feel happy about it!

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 19:29

Sorry to hear the bad news mate - I'd get it fixed and have a mint coop at the end of it all \:\)

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 19:41

Originally Posted By: yellafella
Go on, get it fixed. Once Carl's worked his magic and you've spent yr excess on a clutch, who knows, you might just want to use it more often than you do now.

I like the car but driving wise its not the type of car you go out and drive for the sake of driving, it just doesnt feel happy when pushed at more than 7/10th's. Unlike my old 106GTI which was a riot on the B roads, shame about everything else about it.

I work in the city and get the train to work, the gym is a 5min run from my home also, the only time I need the coupe is a weekly trip to tesco. Its nice to have though for those odd trips out.

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 19:43

Sounds like you don't really want it \:\(

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 19:49

I'm not sure, I want it if it doesnt cost me a fortune! Like my dad always said 'nice cars will keep you poor son' so true.

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 19:53

Mine's been out twice this winter. Once up to Rog's for service, then once to Pistonheads gathering in Kent.

Wouldn't part with it, no way. I'd jump at the chance of a free Carlt makeover. I do love the drive though when I do drive it, enough to keep it forever. Although please note that I am not allowed a bike.

I'm glad I don't have to make your decision though Shabba.
Posted By: whatmoretyres

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 20:05

I might have a 106 for sale in a couple of months if you like them that much \:D

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 20:08

IF my coupe was mint before the damage I'd aim to keep it mint, but it wasnt \:\(

ha ha, couldnt go back to a 106 now for many reasons. \:\)

Re: Worthless? - 22/03/2007 20:17

Ahh but Carl would make it minty

Either that or take the 2k and buy a snotter I suppose.

Re: Worthless? - 25/03/2007 03:10

Brilliant \:D

You've got a boot spoiler \:D and the rest....

(nothing against boot spoilers )

To think I took you seriously

Re: Worthless? - 25/03/2007 14:39

I have a boot spoiler

I thought I would hate the thing when I looked at the photos of the car for sale, but I actually don't find it that offensive. I'd rather not have it though ;\)

Re: Worthless? - 26/03/2007 09:16

Shabba, if you need this much convincing, out it and move on \:\)

Re: Worthless? - 26/03/2007 13:52

I HATE that boot spoiler, was on the car when I got it!

If it gets done at the body shop I'll have them remove it.
Just waiting to see what they say, could take ages.

If I can get it sorted on the insurance I will, however I'm not going to spend £500++ on my car when its not worth much.
Just hope it keeps running ok, the clutch is essenstial the other bits arent. Wont bother fixing the alarm, leather etc.

Grrr cars are so expensive, not the coupe, I mean if I was to get a replace I'd need £10k for anything I actually like.
Credit to the coupe there I guess, such bang for your buck!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK