Fiat Coupe Club UK

Ipod on standard head unit

Posted By: Anonymous

Ipod on standard head unit - 24/11/2006 20:39

I've got a 30Gb video ipod and want to connect it to the head unit.

This is what I believe are my options:
- FM transmitter
- Tape connector
- Expensive 'aerial' type box plus controller(like Harmon Kardon)
- Aux input through standard connectors

I really don't want an FM transmitter as my missus has one and it sucks. Tape connector!.. I've never actually checked whether my tape player works, besides my fascia is taped on (as it used to jiggle around and no buttons worked. HK one sounds excellent but expensive. Aux input is obvious choice - but I have an amp/sub in the boot so don't know if it will work (previous post suggest its a switched line in/out)

P.S I'm not bothered about charging or controlling the ipod too, so I don't want to upgrade the head unit either.

Anyone?
Chris
Posted By: Cappo

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 24/11/2006 20:45

Not all HUs have aux inputs - check that first to rule in/rule out that option.

FM transmitters are indeed poo.

Tape unit works OK but you've ruled that out with yours, and any new HUs with a tape deck are likely to be at the low end of the quality range.

HK it is then! I have a Sony HU/Sony HD5 MP3 player, and have the interface recommended and used by Bockers. Very good but about £60-£70 iirc. I'd go that route though.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 24/11/2006 20:49

Nobby, what Head Unit make and model do you have?
John

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 24/11/2006 20:52

Clarion ARX7370R (standard one)

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 24/11/2006 21:02

The FM transmitters are terrible, tape thingies are even worse. IIRC there is a switch on the top of the clario head unit (you have to slide it out from the dash, that changes the Line out leads to being Line in in which case a £5.99 lead will do the job far better than other options.

John

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 24/11/2006 21:19

Thanks Bockers - I knew you'd reply (I should have just sent you a PM )

One more question. This lead - am I right in thinking its one that connects the headphone socket to double aux input?

Edited: Like this one RCA Audio Cable for use with iPod®

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 24/11/2006 21:31

Yes that's the cable.

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 24/11/2006 21:38

Thanks, I owe you a cuppa.

Chris

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 26/11/2006 22:03

you say you have a sub and amp in the boot, so by changing the line out switch to line in, you will loose the ability to have your sub. you will have to choose sub or ipod... not exactly ideal...

to be fair the best option here to me is to just replace the HU. i know you dont wanna, but you can get a much better stereo for about 100 - 150quid and will sound better. i have a blaupunkt stereo with the ipod adapter, fits in the back, charges it, changes it through the stereo and you can now buy a similar model with the adapter for about 180. of course everyone has thier own opinion on which make is best, but you get the idea...
Posted By: lilolee

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 27/11/2006 02:44

I've got to say that I have no problems with the FM transmitter (an iTrip), works and sounds fine.

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 27/11/2006 04:13

Fcuk me i've been usin a poxe fm transmitter for years in my coupe and i didnt realise you could connect up thru the back using the input provided maybe coz i've never had the stereo out
Tell me this if i connect up my mp3 player with the rca leads what do i select on the head unit to listen to the music as there is only tuner/tape/or cd player???

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 27/11/2006 16:05

i think you have to go into the settings and select AUX1 and turn it from off to on... i think. then you can hear it...
been a while since i had a clarion one though, so i might be geting mixed up with another make...

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 27/11/2006 16:10

Aha.... you might be right sburford.

I tried it the other day and I couldn't get it to work with the connector (via the purple RCA cable) - no sound.

I know what you mean about the amp/sub. However I've got a fairly good amp and I could use a high feed from the rear speakers as an input instead of AUX out. It will mean that I can't adjust the bass on the head unit though.

Chris
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 27/11/2006 18:53

Anyone know if the older Clarion ARX 7170 has the capacity to take a line in input?

I tried to read the instruction manual, but I'm a complete audio numpty so I ended up no better off

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 27/11/2006 19:02

IIRC the cables on my one i sold ages ago were labelled on the back of the unit so worth having a nopsey if anyone has one out of a car at the minute? CarlT maybe?

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 28/11/2006 02:42

Just checked in my user guide and it mentions changing the settings from 'Subwoofer' to 'Non fader' (for DSP Eq etc).

So I will be trying that tomorrow.

Chris

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 28/11/2006 20:08

Nobby i would change the HU as well, Alpine do a new ipod ready HU that has a lead that comes straight out, that allows you to control the Ipod and charge it. This headunit also searches you iPod at full speed, which you dont normally get from other HU's. If you have a system installed, the Alpine would allow for better configuration. Model: CDE-9850Ri Price: around £160
Posted By: DOS

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 15/12/2006 18:40

Did anyone have any success making the line in work on the standard head unit? I have had mine out twice and have gone through all the RCA combo's that I can think of and flipped the line in/ line out switch on the bottom of the unit. Does anyone know exactly how to activate the AUX function as I think that may be the answer

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 15/12/2006 18:48

a hammer should work

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 15/12/2006 18:54

I'm getting to that point alright!

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 16/12/2006 00:57

Well Dos the simple fact is it doesnt work
First of all if you want to run your mp3 player you will lose the function of your cd changer
Secondly if you do decide to say feck it i dont use the cd changer that much and you connect your mp3 player you run into another problem...the volume is no longer controlled on the head unit it is now only available on your mp3 player....
So in summary Dos dont bother wastin your time if you want to run a mp3 player you may buy a more modern head unit full stop....
Hope this helps

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 18/12/2006 19:07

Hi iano. Thanks for the sanity check. I figured that once I saw the line in/out switch there might be someway of making it work. yeah right!

Anyway a friend is back from the US for Christmas and was telling me of an FM transmitter from a company called Monster that he bought on eBay that both charges the iPod and is exactly like listening to a good FM radio station. Plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. Think I'll go with one of these as an interim solution and get an up to date head unit soon.
Posted By: cowboy

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 18/12/2006 22:05

hi i had an fm transmitter what a bag of sh,t in the car. but in the house they work ok.since then i went to halfords and they sold me the stand and its all wired up now all for 99 quid not to bad, http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/cowboykarl/patsphotos005.jpg http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/cowboykarl/patsphotos006-1.jpg

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 19/12/2006 03:25

cowboy. I have to admit that is one cool looking centre console. Great colour too
Posted By: cowboy

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 19/12/2006 05:19

hay, thanks mate

Re: Ipod on standard head unit - 03/01/2007 01:38

Had a go at connecting my Ipod with the standard Clarion ARX7370R head unit using the rca lead mentioned above.
switched the little dip switch to line in,i have 3 lots of Rca leads coming out of the back of the stereo,the purple dont work,if i plug it into the other two sets i get sound in either the front or the rear speakers not both.

Played around with the fader makes no difference,feel like im half way there ,has anyone managed to get this working properly,before i go down the new Headunit or fm modulator route ?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK