Fiat Coupe Club UK

Turbo and performance upgrade

Posted By: Anonymous

Turbo and performance upgrade - 14/10/2017 17:37

Hi guys I no this has probably been discussed several times but I can't seem to find the right information, I recently brought a sprint blue fiat coupe with full service history and the engine sounds and feels good.

I would like to make the coupe anything over 320bhp, everything is standard on the car now,

First I wanto do the engine then il move to suspension and brakes

1. What is a decent cheap intercooler size that can handle 320+
2. What turbo can I get that isn't a pain to make fit? Il get a 3" exhaust made from turbo back
3. Injectors? Sorry I'm very new to this any help will be much appreciated and thanks in advance, also I'm from Hertfordshire High Barnet en5 if anyone has parts for sale 😁
Posted By: kj16v

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 14/10/2017 23:08

Hi.

Intercooler: The one in the link would do nicely. I ran one of my own Coupes at 320bhp using this same size intercooler back in the day.
CLICK

Turbo: Since you will be building a custom exhaust, the world is your oyster.

Injectors: Traditionally people tend to use Bosch "Green" 440cc injectors. However I've recently found that the Bosch 280 injectors that are used on the Astra VXR perform MUCH better than Greens.

Then of course you have to have the car live-mapped to suit.

I can supply all the parts mentioned above, plus I also live-map, so send me a PM if you're interested.

Posted By: Nigel

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 15/10/2017 07:06

Originally Posted By kj16v
However I've recently found that the Bosch 280 injectors that are used on the Astra VXR perform MUCH better than Greens.

Typo?

Standard injectors are 330, so not much point in going smaller. My quick googling shows that VXR injectors are 470cc.

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 15/10/2017 15:48

Thanks for the info guys, what is a good cheap direct bolt on turbo for around 320+ bhp? Somthing with a quick spool up please thanks again in advance

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 15/10/2017 18:36

16vt or 20vt?

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 16/10/2017 05:04

20v turbo thanks

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 16/10/2017 08:18

Originally Posted By Nigel
Originally Posted By kj16v
However I've recently found that the Bosch 280 injectors that are used on the Astra VXR perform MUCH better than Greens.

Typo?

Standard injectors are 330, so not much point in going smaller. My quick googling shows that VXR injectors are 470cc.

"280" as in the last 3 digits if the serial number, not 280cc. The "280's" are 470cc.

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 16/10/2017 11:25

Originally Posted By Kriskerry
Thanks for the info guys, what is a good cheap direct bolt on turbo for around 320+ bhp? Somthing with a quick spool up please thanks again in advance

Any T2-flanged turbo will bolt up to the manifold. Since you will be having a custom downpipe fitted, I recommend a turbo with V-band turbine outlet. I recently purchased a Mamba GTX GT2860R turbo for one of my clients' 300bhp engine build; billet compressor, ceramic ball bearing centre. The build quality looks spot-on, plus it was about half the price of the equivalent Garrett. We're looking forward to testing it. Should spool quickly while being capable of well over the target of 300 bhp.

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 16/10/2017 11:35

This one. All Instagrammed up laugh
CLICK

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 16/10/2017 20:39

Hey thanks for the replies, still cant find a turbo for my budget around £500:(
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Turbo and performance upgrade - 17/10/2017 05:22

Try CR Turbos, they were offering hybrid turbos which boot directly onto your Coupe for around £500-£700 depending on spec. With supporting modifications these would make between 300-350 bhp.

These would have either a 60 or 62 trim compressor with either standard or larger 76 trim exhaust side.

Have a read of the tuning guide which has a link to a hybrid turbo thread which should be useful for you.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK