Fiat Coupe Club UK

Diesel Coupe

Posted By: AnnieMac

Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 01:21

Solo Italia's diesel coupe is for sale again - that's twice in less than a year! http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/610486876/1995-fiat-coupe.html
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 11:29

Only one thing to say about that...

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers.
Posted By: lost55

Re: Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 13:11

Pulp Fiction?

Does that mean we're going to walk the earth because our coupes are so unreliable?
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 14:01

Yes, that's 'interesting' but somewhat abstract as a response- thanks though: always a joy to hear...

Does that mean, Annie, that it actually sold? Or sold twice in fact?

I was always terrified by the advert ...

Re: Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 15:11

It's for sale but not sold yet.
Posted By: phil_20VT

Re: Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 17:00

Have Solo Italia ever managed to sell it?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 19:17

I recall this being for sale for ages. Anybody know whether the Tipo diesel engine was any good? Power output? Reliability etc?
Posted By: dibbers

Re: Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 20:25

don't know on the reliability, but they were 90bhp I think?

Re: Diesel Coupe - 01/09/2015 22:22

Solo Italia did sell it but it was sold again and is now advertised again.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Diesel Coupe - 02/09/2015 08:32

The old Tipo diesel lump was a plodder at best, and not particularly economical (just over 40mpg in the Tipo, so probably a bit less in the Coupe shell) - I think it was a useful exercise to see if it could be done, but I don't think its resulted in a saleable car.

With a modern Fiat/Alfa 1.9 turbo diesel, this would have been a worthwhile exercise (150bhp, mappable to 170-180, so nearly as much as a stock 16VT, but with much better torque) - the car would have sold easily with the later lump, but it would have been a significantly harder build

Re: Diesel Coupe - 02/09/2015 13:28

Gosh that's terrible MPG for a diesel!
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Diesel Coupe - 02/09/2015 14:33

Agreed - if I drive REALLY gently, I can get 40mpg out of my 20vt (record is 43mpg) - I bet I'd still be driving as quickly as this diesel Coupe
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Diesel Coupe - 02/09/2015 15:38

i have a two year old audi a6 deisel as a daily drive

its bloody quick , cumfy, extremely torquey, very refined for a deisel

but it has one problem ...........its a deisel

you can race away from the lights and hammer it along the back roads like the clappers but ...........you mustnt open the window or you will think farmer Giles is chasing you

and if you ever forget yourself and blip teh throttle you will just be very disapointed

but it does average 50mpg
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Diesel Coupe - 02/09/2015 19:49

Originally Posted By: Nigel

With a modern Fiat/Alfa 1.9 turbo diesel, this would have been a worthwhile exercise (150bhp, mappable to 170-180, so nearly as much as a stock 16VT, but with much better torque) - the car would have sold easily with the later lump, but it would have been a significantly harder build

I've been pushing the idea for years, but it might have to wait until I retire smile

It's not easy because there are so many CANBUS systems in the Bravo (and I assume the other cars that carry it, like the Alfa) that you'd almost certainly have to transplant the entire wiring loom. And I'd probably want to do the steering wheel with the remotes, phone interface, and clever switches which are a definite improvement on the coupe's.
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: Diesel Coupe - 03/09/2015 19:31

I think we might as well face it- some cars weren't meant to be diesel!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK